Re: how to copy and NOT overwrite

john@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I want to copy a folder from one hard drive to another but only copy
> files that do not exist in the destination. There is a LOT of data
> too..

I have a fairly primitive solution to this:
alias cp='echo n | cp -i'

If I do want to overwrite, then I use the "\cp" command (disables
the alias, and uses the real cp).

Again, this is a fairly primitive solution...

Vilmos

  • Re: GUI file copy
    ... Cmd-Opt-Drag = Make Alias at destination ... Within the same folder or between folders on the same volume: ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: How do I make an alias to this?
    ... Take any file or folder inside the 1st level of a hidden folder, ... Placing the alias somewhere convenient in your home ... set folderName to name of theFolder ... make alias file at desktop to theFolder ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Word looks for another server on the network
    ... I've experienced a similar problem which was the result of an alias to ... an offline folder; specifically, it was the Pictures folder that I had ... The server may not exist or it is not operational at ... server, the Save preferences become visible, but there is no reference in it ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Full Text Index There...Now Gone?
    ... Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. ... > Group\Public Folder Store " due to error code 0x80004005. ... You may want to close and reopen ESM and take a look again. ... >>> the interval for update kicks off. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.applications)
  • Re: Q about Making Subfolders in the Applications Folder
    ... Applications folder. ... When I told him how i organized my applications, ... BACKGROUND FOR ALIASES ... An alias for an item is a second name you give ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)