Re: Add-on IDE adapters?

Dances With Crows wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:50:39 GMT, Marten Kemp staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

I had an array of older SCSI drives but they're failing and I'm
running out of spares.  I *do* have a number of reasonable-sized IDE
drives that I can use but the machine only has one IDE channel that
I'm using for a boot drive and a CD. I have a couple of add-on IDE
adapters in the parts bin. Does anyone know if the Debian 2.6.8 kernel
would be able to use them to control additional drives?

I don't see why not. Most PCI IDE cards are supported one way or another. Booting from a PCI IDE card can be a bit annoying, and sometimes running an ATAPI device on a PCI IDE card can get annoying. But running disks should work fairly well. Somebody could probably give you exact directions if you posted the exact make+model of the PCI IDE card you have (or the output you get from lspci).

If your card is ISA, it'll be a bit of a PITA to get it working, natch.
Hope that's not what you have.

I'll use PCI cards; I'm saving the ISA cards for my 286 after I have a sufficiency of Round Tuits <grin>.

One of the cards is a SIIG UltraIDE Pro PCI, with a BIOS that's
supposed to work with drives larger than 8.4g. The rest just look
like straight connections between the PCI slot and the cables.
I'll probably try the SIIG first.

Do I need anything special in the kernel?

--
-- Marten Kemp
(Fix name and ISP to reply)

  • Re: Strange PEER error with Danis 506 1.81 generic question
    ... In the case of everything so far up until the Intel 915GAVL/GEVL and still in research 945 series motherboards, there have been two IDE controllers on the boards. ... Thus the primary hard disk controller from which the finished box will normally boot would be the Master on IDE controller #1. ... if there were, for example, two IDE hard drives, one would be the normal boot device as the Master on the primary IDE controller. ... to generate a report of scsi and "fake scsi" devices on a mixed scsi hard drives/ide dvd burner and dvd-rom system but I seem to recall that all scsi devices got listed before any ide devices - including the scsi scanner I had. ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)
  • Re: Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array
    ... Booting from Acronis CD after re-attaching IDE drive to system didn't work ... I detached both SATA drives and booted from Acronis Cd again ... ... case to ensure that RAID is not being 'attempted'on my IDE drive. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array
    ... I assume if your IDE drive is NOT ... attached, the SATA array will still boot, correct? ... Option #2 (should be done w/ SATA and IDE drives installed): ... install on the IDE drive. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array
    ... I have reformatted the IDE drive, to remove any issue with the old Windows ... I turned auto-restart off in my SATA-based Windows install; ... Remove any newly installed hard drives ... is the first boot device and the IDE the second. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Macs no longer overpriced - InfoWorld
    ... the fault of the manufacturer of the part, ... PUT an internal IDE HD in my Intel iMac. ... waiting to be taken out and put into my Apple. ... installed in new PCs but the direction is definitely SATA and drives are SO ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)