Re: Multi-Boot Strategies?

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 13:44:42 +0000, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>
>> Main thing is one knows how to repair after stuffups. Like knowing
>> how to get whichever OS owns MBR to rewrite the thing when needed.
>
>In my view, it is very wise to keep a copy of the MBR using dd
>before running any operation that might change it.
>Then one can restore the MBR as was if necessary.

lilo makes a copy, I don't use grub. Last time I looked grub used
sectors 2..63 on the first cylinder, this means windows stuff like
PartitionMagic can wreck grub.

>I'm surprised this advice is not widely disseminated.
>I think grub should keep the old MBR, with the date,
>whenever it is changed.

Easy enough for the brighter user to:
dd if=/dev/XYZ bs=512 count=1 of=/path/to/MBR_copy
where XYZ might be hda for a common setup.

To be honest, I cannot remember the last time I wished I had an
MBR backup ;) So easy to make a new one.

Grant.
--
WinXP: Access Start->Turn Off Computer, then while holding
Ctrl-Alt-Shift, left click on Cancel. This kills Windows

  • Re: Please Help: system keeps rebooting after installing FC3
    ... writing to the MBR even when i opt not too. ... F8 everytime i boot to toggle BIOS to boot from my hdb. ... get hold of various other boot loaders, grub fail the same way as yours. ... The installation went smooth and at the end I needed ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: remove partaion
    ... The most interesting hurdle will be what the Master Boot Record ... thus kill GRUB. ... I would copy your MBR and first 63 sectors (see the MBR Copy Appendix ... GUI or command line commands to accomplish that. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Retaining windoze when replacing 9.0 with 9.1?
    ... > My concern is the MBR. ... If grub has been working fine, up 'til now, leave it alone. ... the new install, don't erase the /grub directory on the boot partition, ... When I install a new OS, I never mount the boot partition, and install ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: dual booting XP and Linux
    ... /dev/hda - MBR ... I don't worry too much now, since I'm booting fine into GRUB and from there ... > Millions of people are using to grub to boot Linux and/or Windows.. ... I like the idea of removing the hard drives because it is safe. ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: GRUB failure
    ... but not personal expertise with GRUB That Grub is organized ... Phase 1 the GRUB MBR DOES NOT KNOW THE OS FILE STRUCTURES. ... Loaded and executed by the ROM BIOS boot strap code. ... fails to be able to load in the Phase 1.5 Loader. ...
    (RedHat)