Re: Removing Linux from a dual boot system

In comp.os.linux.misc, on Fri 20 January 2006 14:36, (PeteCresswell)
<x@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Per Chris:
>>IF you installed grub in the MBR of the Windows drive, then
>>all you need to do is bring up XP in console mode and run
>>fixmbr. That will remove your boot menu and load XP
>>immediately on boot-up.
>>
>>The Linux install will still be there. To remove, reformat
>>the Linux partition in Windows as you please.
>
> This begs a question for me: if I have an image of a drive which is
> partitioned into hda1 and hda5 and the drive dies, will restoring the
> image to hda1 on another drive also bring back my GRUB setup?

Why should it? The MBR is not on hda1

> I'm guessing not - that GRUB lives in some other area of the disk,
> namely "the boot block".

Often referred to as the Master Boot Record, sometimes known as the MBR,
though I don't know what the significance of the letters might be ;-)

> If that's true, is the boot block some sort of partition that I could
> back up on an image?

man dd

> Looking in kInfoCenter, I don't see anything and looking
> via Win I don't see anything either...

Why would you expect Windoze to show you anything like system
information?

--
Robert
Keep the Yule Logs burning !

  • Re: Removing Linux from a dual boot system
    ... >>The Linux install will still be there. ... > the image to hda1 on another drive also bring back my GRUB setup? ... Maybe not if you had GRUB on the MBR. ... "Boot block" is too vague. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Removing Linux from a dual boot system
    ... >IF you installed grub in the MBR of the Windows drive, ... another drive also bring back my GRUB setup? ... is the boot block some sort of partition that I could back up on ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: grub error 22. Bad partition table? [solved]
    ... and mark that partition bootable. ... disk and a boot block at the beginning ... "MBR" refers to the boot block at the beginning ... If you put grub into the MBR ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Please Help: system keeps rebooting after installing FC3
    ... writing to the MBR even when i opt not too. ... F8 everytime i boot to toggle BIOS to boot from my hdb. ... get hold of various other boot loaders, grub fail the same way as yours. ... The installation went smooth and at the end I needed ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: remove partaion
    ... The most interesting hurdle will be what the Master Boot Record ... thus kill GRUB. ... I would copy your MBR and first 63 sectors (see the MBR Copy Appendix ... GUI or command line commands to accomplish that. ...
    (Fedora)