Re: I Want to identify best Linux approach, and any pitfalls.

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:09:40 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> I have use Linux a fair bit, but not for some years and never as a
> desktop..simply couldn't get the applications for it..
>
> Now it seems that enough of the applications I need are available for me
> to almost switch off Windoze forever - or at least relegate it to an old
> machine in the spare room.
>
> what I would desperately crave from the assembled experience is a guide
> to what machine, OS version, and indeed extra software - free or
> commercial - I would need to get the required functionality.
>
> The machine will be run as a wired networked machine with one MAC OS9
> and one PC Win 98SE on a local network, behind a NAT router broadbanded
> to the Internet. I am happy with nearly all of the networking issues -
> atalk and samba etc. I include that for reference only.
>
> Printers will be an ageing Laserjet 6P (already networked: Talks LPR)and
> a HP designjet 650C large fornmat inkjet...parallel only that one..be
> mice if teh MAC cold talk to it though..ghostscript?
>
> I believe drivers are available for both.
>
> I will need some form of CD-ROM or DVD burning for backups and data
> exchange.
>
> I'd like to play DVD's as well, but I understand there are issues.
>
> Ideally I'd like to use an integrated cheap motherboard with Intel
> graphics chips. Built in sound and networking etc.
>
> What I need is a desktop that is as near Win98 as I can get, without
> exccessive configuration..I don't want to waste time learning X windows
> subtleties if I can avoid it - and a reliable web browser - Firefox
> NEARLY works, but some sites I used daily require IE6 rendering engine
> and Java implementation..what else is there? Mozilla with IE6 rendering?
> Yes, I know the sites are broken but....
>
> Mail and Usenet is fine with Thunderbird.
>
> Word and Excel? Well open office of course...but will that print labels
> and envelopes? I.e. will I have full access to both trays and so on with
> whatever drivers the machine can be equipped with? And will the open
> office understand how to use them?

I prefer AbiWord and Gnumeric - they are smaller quicker stand alone apps.

> I have very little requirement in terms of interoperability with MS
> products, other than being able to spit out files that WORD can
> understand, and read my old WORD files.
>
> Other things I want to do involve graphics, and here things get trickier.
>
> I want to scan in stuff on my HP Scanjet 4100C...it LOOKS like there is
> support for this at least.

Should be no problem.

> I have a Nikon Coolpix camera with USB interface...I'd really like to be
> able to pull images off that and delete them on it without going mad...

Much better to use a USB card reader and save the camera batteries - but
I've plugged a Coolpix 2100 in and it works.

> I want to edit bitmap pictures - basically Photoshop functionality..I
> guess GIMP will do?

GIMP does all I need - basic photo editing. I've also loaded the panorama
tools and stitched together some decent panoramas.

www.ac3d.org - has what seems to be a good commercial package for Linux.

.