Re: Recommend a very light Linux distribution for very old computer

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:02:26 -0600, Dan C wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 04:24:29 -0800, AN O'Nymous wrote:

I am formating this computer for my sister. Now this computer is very
old 500 MHz and 128mb. I am installing windows 98 and I would also like
to install a very light version of linux. Which distribution of Linux,
perferbably one that has a graphical interface, do you suggest.

Vector Linux.

If you do decide to use Vector Linux, be aware that the old versions
(e.g. 1.8) use substantially smaller install sizes than the larger
ones; obviously at the cost of features.

...And at the cost of security updates. The OP didn't say he was short on
disk space. Why would he want to bother with something that outdated?

Vector 5.1 runs smooth and fast for me on a 550MHz box with 128Mb and 8Gb
of disk. Everything including multimedia worked OOB.

--
mark south: world citizen, net denizen
echo znexfbhgu2000@xxxxxxxxxxx|tr a-z n-za-m

  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • [opensuse] Re: Suse 10.3 install - oh dear (rant only)
    ... when I share an opinion, I make an effort to do so in an unemotional way. ... Linux, and oftentimes suggest it to people who are willing to try ... is important to take into consideration not only the feedback that comes ... likely able to install the product on their own, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
    ... people who "support" Linux really only install stock distros. ... Debian is simply not drama queen. ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... U2, RedHat and SuSE: ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 54, Issue 170
    ... I've never tried to install it with a disk ... Fedora 9 asking for disc 1 on dvd install ... Re: Linux Outlaws (Armin) ... Fedora 9 asking for disc 1 on dvd install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: long time Linux user considering switching to OS-X
    ... > - Linux box. ... as well integrated with the MacOSX GUI (cut and paste is a bit ... than the typical Mac user. ... install gawk. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.portables)