Re: been using only root account - system compromized?

Tauno Voipio wrote:
sfd@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi

I've just installed a new system with Suse linux 10.0 and spent about 6
weeks configuring it. I did everything with the root user (daily work,
internet, program installation...). I'm now in the process of setting up a
'normal' user to work with. I wonder though if it is not too late and if my
system might have already been compromised.

Apart from 2-3 system crashes and occasional slow-down (which could well
have been linked to 'benign' software/hardware problems), I didn't
experience anything wrong.

My question really is: Can I now safely create and work with a new 'normal'
user or do I need to reinstall everything (and only user root for such
things as packet installations)? As I spend a lot of time going through
the installation and configuration of new software, I'm not keen on
reinstalling everything. Is there a way to find out if my PC is
compromised? :-)

If there is not much done after the installation, or you can afford
to lose your changes, do a re-install. The check is more tedious, and
it always leaves the little nagging feeling, if something went
unnoticed.

In case of doubt - wipe the thing and re-install it. This time,
please create the normal user at once, and do not allow SSH root
logins.

Utter tosh.

Just go and set up a normal user.

If things don't work, use root to fix them.

Its more likely you will cerate things that CAN'T be used by a normal user when acting as root, than you will create things that ANYBODY can access regardless.

If security is a worry for you, rather than a way to impress other people with spurious second hand half baked opinions..then take the time to understand how Unix and Linux security actually works.

And don't take anyones word for it other than the manuals. Including mine.

  • Re: been using only root account - system compromized?
    ... weeks configuring it. ... I did everything with the root user (daily work, ... things as packet installations)? ... tauno voipio iki fi ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Post installation queries (FIRST successful installation of Linux)
    ... permission from your *normal user* account by exercising root privileges ... user to root. ...  Done with sudo! ...   i - puts vi in insert mode ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: user privledges
    ... > redhat 7.2 i created a user account for myself to use on a daily basis. ... > fare i have just been su - and entering the root pass. ... it started but would not install because i did ... sofware to /opt/musicmatch as a normal user. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: jail() House Rock
    ... Think carefully about exactly what kind of privileges your clients get. ... normal user account on the main server, and root inside the jail. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: [SLE] Firefox, fixed and broken again.... :-(
    ... >> through KDE as root but not as a normal user. ... But if it works for root, not for user, I ... I opened Firefox it opened fine. ... I then tried opening Firefox again - remember it ...
    (SuSE)