Re: tin newsreader slow reading group

spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Salvatore Iovene <salvatore.iovene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:

Hello,
I'm using tin 1.4.5 on a SunOS sparc machine.
I have been googling and searching newsgroups for an answer to my
problem, but couldn't find anything good.

Althought tin starts fast here, it hangs up to a minute when I select a
newsgroup to read its articles.
It says:

Group comp.os.linux.misc ('q' to quit)...

then it quickly retrieves the articles of the group. It just wastes
almost a minute on that line above.

You're not using a local news server are you?
It'll be downloading the new messages.

Yes, I am. Why does this slow up things? Shouldn't it be very quick
since the news server is in the same LAN?

Is any way to speed this up? Since I read many newsgroup, I'd like to
quickly switch among them, but having to wait a minute each time is
really bad.

Install leafnode if you have root access...

Unfortunately I don't have root access. Any other way?

Thanks a lot.

| spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx | |

Salvatore Iovene
http://salvatoreiovene.wordpress.com

  • Re: tin newsreader slow reading group
    ... I'm using tin 1.4.5 on a SunOS sparc machine. ... I have been googling and searching newsgroups for an answer to my ... then it quickly retrieves the articles of the group. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • tin newsreader slow reading group
    ... I'm using tin 1.4.5 on a SunOS sparc machine. ... I have been googling and searching newsgroups for an answer to my ... then it quickly retrieves the articles of the group. ... Since I read many newsgroup, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: notification if new posts in marked threads
    ... This should be my first post sent with tin. ... By default tin only shows unread articles. ... other commands than on the Thread Level, ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • [tin] with slrnpull
    ... tin can read articles from an nntp server, ... tin can read articles from a news spool. ... First, one has to decide, where slrnpull should have its dir ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Got idle CPU cycles?
    ... You seem to be using tin, which supports filter and killfile concepts that ... enable a reader to skip articles based on various criteria. ... Here's a sample from a manpage for tin filtering under Linux: ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)