how can I turn on swap? swapon didn't work...

Hi, I am running Suse 9.2 on a machine with 2 gigs of ram. I try using
matla to open a data file, and it gives me "out of memory" errors. In a
shell, free tells me swap usage is 0.

I've tried /sbin/swapon -a . But I continue to have the same behavior.
I can't seem to get swap on.

I have a separate 4 gig partition devoted to swap. I did the standard
install for Suse, which on other machines left swap working fine, but
for some reason on this machine I'm stuck with no swap.

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Jim

  • Re: [kde] [SPAM] Re: virtuoso-t memory consumption
    ... Mine has right now more than 4.1 GB swap used, ... 4+ gigs swap used, for sure. ... want to get rid of and will swap apps out instead. ... rigs are within an order of magnitude of that in gigs of RAM, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [SLE] problems adding ram
    ... running SuSE 8.2, when I did the install> it had 512 mbs of ram. ... prof whose computer it is> wants 3 gigs of ram, ... I don't want to say "have to", but it is a great idea to have as much swap as ...
    (SuSE)
  • Swap space/Phys Mem configuration
    ... Here is a typical configuration that we have ... Physical Memory: 16 Gigs ... Swap: 1 logical device of 16 Gigs ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hpux)
  • Re: how can I turn on swap? swapon didnt work...
    ... I am running Suse 9.2 on a machine with 2 gigs of ram. ... free tells me swap usage is 0. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: solaris handling of virtual memory?
    ... and 16 gigs of swap on disk), ... swap kicks in when physical memory is not enough. ... Gigs of the total 16 Gigs, ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)