use of a USB HD on 2 different distros

One machine is Slackware 10.2 the other machine is CentOS 4.2

It's an 80 GB USB HD drive ext3

My boot HD's in both of these are scsi, sda. So this USB HD shows in
both computers as sdb5 (its full HD is logical partition ext3)

Works fine on both computers.

But, on CentOS, any Slackware created folders/files show as "user 1000"
and lack write permission for me, user al

And, on Slackware (KDE), any CentOS created folders/files show as "user
500" and lack write permission for me, user al

I admin both of these machines and I'm also the only user on them, user
al ie /home/al

I want user al permissions/access to all folders/files always on this
USB HD no matter which of the 2 computers this HD happens to be on.

But I don't know how to go about that. I guess as root I could issue a
recursive chown. But I suspect it wouldn't last. And I suspect that
there's a better way.

How to? Any help appreciated.

--
Alan C

  • Re: my mp3 player and linux
    ... usb 3-1.2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6 ... SCSI device sdc: 39063024 512-byte hdwr sectors ... It's a Slackware derrived distro, still compatible with most Slackware packages, but designed to keep things very light. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: CentOS-6 by PXEboot?
    ... but gave up in the end and used a USB stick instead. ... Fedora, but it works just the same on CentOS 6 machines. ... how to add CentOS 5 and Fedora as install candidates. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Lucid vs. old Intel video card
    ... I have an old Fujitsu Siemens laptop that's been running various *nixes over the years: Slackware, FreeBSD, PC-BSD, then CentOS. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • PS2 Mouse not working under Slackware 12.1 Xorg X Server 1.4.2
    ... I've finally committed to moving my desktop machine up to the Slackware 13.1 ... pointer in conjunction with movements of the mouse; ... When I switch to a USB mouse, ...   EndSection ...
    (comp.windows.x)
  • Re: use of a USB HD on 2 different distros
    ... But, on CentOS, any Slackware created folders/files show as "user 1000" ... 500" and lack write permission for me, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)