Re: Internet Access problems in Fedora Core 4

aldin wrote:

Hi

I m new to the linux/unix world. I m facing a problem while i try to
access internet on Fedora Core 4.

I m using an ethernet LAN card to access the internet. I behind a
proxy. I m using 3com Etherlink XL 10/100 card. As i enter a url ( any
url) in firefox web browser in kde, i get an error message to the
effect of " cannot find the address, please check the address." I saw
the same problem being reffered to on another forum, somebody suggested
that the system in this case is not able to see the internet. I did not
understand what they suggested there, perhaps that suffices to say that
i m new to this unix/linux world.

You should test several things, your system gets addresses from
your ISP via DNS. It could be that your linux machine isn't
configured to know where the DSN server is.

option 1. Test that you are at least connected to the internet:
even if you don't have DNS, you can try to connect outwards
by trying a URL in your browser that's already in numeric format.
All DNS really does is convert human readable text URLs and
host names to x.x.x.x IP numbers.

http://www.google.com in numeric form is
http://64.233.179.99

if you reach google ok with that,then you're connected and
your proxy is working and most likely DNS is misconfigured.

Also, does your email program work? If it does, then
your DNS is probably ok.

option 2. Your DNS on linux isn't configured. The first giveaway
is if you don't see a "nameserver" line in your /etc/resolv.conf file,
my file looks like this:

search verizon.net
domain verizon.net
nameserver 192.168.1.2

Your file should look similar, the verizon entries are
because my ISP is verizon, the domain line tells linux
to append verizon.net if I
My proxy/firewall on my LAN is at address 192.168.1.2, if
this address isn't set or is wrong, your DNS won't work.
Assuming your proxy also acts as a DNS caching server
out to your ISP, put the address to your proxy there in
/etc/resolv.conf after nameserver. You'll have to
edit that file as root but you don't have to reboot or
start anything.

option 3.
If #1 which tried to get to google.com via the raw IP didn't
work, it's possible you have your proxy setup to only work
on a particular port (like I use 800) but doesn't let normal
port 80 (the normal one for http) pass. Then if your browser
proxy configuration is set to 'direct connection' you won't
get anything.

option 4. you said your card is activated but are you sure?
Did you get some other program to work via network besides
the browser to prove that. At least use "ifconfig eth0"
in a command window to see what the ethernet card is
setup for, you should see something like:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:55:1D:47:C5:19
inet addr:192.168.1.9 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:203890924 (194.4 MiB) TX bytes:10432709 (9.9 MiB)
Interrupt:233

I did manage to activate my LAN card. How ever the browser doest open
any page to view. The same LAN card works fine on XP as i have a dual
boot system. Is it something to do with the connection settings,
loopback interface, browser settings, the proxy that my isp is using to
allow security or is it something more complicated.

Please suggest a solution, im struggling to resolve the issue. Its not
a good feeling at all.

Regards
j,aldin

  • Re: Accessing windows 2000 dns through linux
    ... We can able to access the internet.. ... But if we want to access the intranet access sites(for example ... use the proxy server for local address - In exceptions tab we have to ... We can access intranet access perfectly by giving dns ip without proxy ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: The network is too Slow
    ... address for proxy server,for ... connecting to internet through a default gateway ip ... we have an internal dns. ... >> I have a local DNS and we connected to internet by ...
  • Re: unable to view parts of outside site
    ... This means that xxx.company.com goes to one place with the internal DNS and a different place with the external DNS. ... If it references a page or image with an explicit URL then a) there should be a reason for that, and b) the URL must also have a split DNS. ... The Web Browser renders the code and does what it is told. ... better be reachable from the internet from the user browser,...the web ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] How big is the danger of IE?
    ... using another browser and disabling IE. ... Options (or Internet Options in the Control Panel) Connections, ... Check the Use a proxy and set ... displaying web-based HTML email, but will not stop similar internal ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: DNS setting for workgroup pc
    ... I used to be able to access the interface thru the browser to login. ... And I do have the ip address and the server ... How can I get back the dns name in the browser? ... entry or more configuration in the proxy settings. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)