Re: I/O Errors, how can I tell what device?

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 14:05:35 -0500, philo staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
Wil wrote:
' I/O error: dev 41:51, sector 4624'
There are several mount points that do not seem abnormal at this
point. How can I tell what 'dev 41:51' is?

Device 0x41 0x51 = device 65 81 = /dev/sdv1 . Look at
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt for all the major and minor
numbers of all the devices that there are. And remember that the kernel
reports device numbers in hex in the AB:CD notation; it's not very
obvious to a casual observer.

I'd run the mfg's harddrive analysis...

Wil has lots of disks if I've read the information correctly. He wants
to know which disk is having the problem, so he can go run various
diagnostics on it.

http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

    ... - Is the HDS and EMC storage all SAN-connected? ... disks and data disks. ... On new sys: ... Mount manually one by one to test: ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Quick and dirty system recovery: Is this method OKAY ?
    ... those server do not have dual redundant power supplies. ... "D> do have hardware mirrored disks. ... "D> Shut down the dev server, take both the production disks and put them in the ... and it might not trust the config on the disks themselves. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: CD images, ISO
    ... exactly what command did you run to try to mount the disks? ... ]internet access onto linux. ... If you omit a package during the initial install, ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)