Question about linux sound...

I've recently installed linux, and so far everything is working great, I
use debian, which makes installing certain things pretty easy, however one
thing I noticed is that anytime I ever want to use sound, I either have to
close any other apps which may use sound, or even sometimes
restart X, otherwise I'll get a /dev/dsp/ is in use error.

I was wondering if this was normal, or if it was actually possible to have
sound come from difference sources simultaneously. I've tried searching
for docs on installing sound modules, with no luck.

PS: I have an AC'97 sound card and use 2.4.27-2-386 kernel on debian.

  • Re: Question about linux sound...
    ... I use debian, which makes installing certain things pretty easy, ... I either have to close any other apps which may use sound, ... I have an AC'97 sound card and use 2.4.27-2-386 kernel on debian. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: 8400 - Choppy Sound - Dont Call Dell
    ... If you have a spare sound card lying around then you could try installing ... Dell copy of windows then they will help you BUT if its your own O/S then ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Might & Magic 7 - Unstable???????
    ... > house, store or whatever, the voices sound like one of the keys is ... I've never tried MM7 under WinXP. ... It's a slightly quirky game anyway, ... Just out of curiosity I may try installing it on one of my WinXP computers ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg)
  • New to Debian (Peter): Problem with resolution, sound, installing StarOffice 5.2
    ... I have just installed Debian Sarge on my notebook ... When installing, there was no resolution to choose, when ... Sound there was a checkbox Sound Server I can't now ... to write my messages under Debian ...
    (Debian-User)