Re: Kill a running bash command

On 2006-04-23, M <ihatespam.0.a101888@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bit Twister wrote:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:29:47 GMT, M wrote:

What would I do if I had kate open, went to the terminal issued say a
search command, then subsequently decided I want to stop it.

Sorry if this seems like a really simple question, but I don't remember
seeing the answer to this in any of the bash documentation that I have
read.

You can try control c, control y, control d to see what happens. :)

control y, control d don't do anything.

control c does is the magic accelerator which stops the command in it's
tracks, and is the one I am looking for.

Thanks Bit Twister :-)

Coming from the windows world control c usually means copy, so I will have
to alias it to control q (or something like that) one of these days.

Thanks once again.

Ctrl-z will stop a job, like putting it 'on hold' so you can think about
whether you want to keep going with it. If it is job 1, for example, you can
bring it back with 'fg 1' ('bring job 1 back into the foreground') and then
ctrl-c to kill it.

--
You could try to alias the Windows ctrl-c to something else :)

  • Re: Kill a running bash command
    ... Jimchip wrote: ... search command, then subsequently decided I want to stop it. ... You can try control c, control y, control d to see what happens. ... have to alias it to control q one of these days. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Kill a running bash command
    ... Bit Twister wrote: ... search command, then subsequently decided I want to stop it. ... You can try control c, control y, control d to see what happens. ... to alias it to control q one of these days. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Kill a running bash command
    ... search command, then subsequently decided I want to stop it. ... You can try control c, control y, control d to see what happens. ... FWIW - Control + C in DOS always Stopped/Killed the shell or script ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Kill a running bash command
    ... a search command, then subsequently decided I want to stop it. ... You can try control c, control y, control d to see what happens. ... use kill. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • General Rant, Not about Lion.
    ... So that if you Burn an Alias to A DVD, ... Changing an Icon should be much easier than it is. ... The new prescribed method would be to control click on an icon, ... There is The Finder Preferences Pane, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)