Hard link directory structure

I host a number of domains, all following a fairly similar layout. I
want to simplify creation and maintenance of new domains by having a
'template' site structure of all files which are common throughout all
sites. The plan is to create links to these files for each domain, so a
change on one propogates throughout all, then just drop in specific
config files for each domain. What I'd like is an easy way to
recursively link all files in a structure. Something to do a working
equivalent of:

ln -R /home/sitetemplate/* /home/newdomain/httpdocs/

Can anyone suggest a fairly simple script/other way to copy a directory
structure elsewhere, then create hard links for all files, including
subdirs

Failing which, any other suggestions, or reasons to shoot me down and
tell me this is a really bad idea are also appreciated.

Thanks

.