Re: dd command question

In article <1149009371.191330.170120@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<pechoi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
:Yeah, problem is we don't have a local drive (each server) can write
:to. We have 2 NFS servers that has binaries and data Read Only. I heard
:NFS find file based on inode number. I thought if I dd same image to 2
:disks, they will have identical drives. I am not sure that would be
:true if I need to patch it and we don't want to make a new image for
:entire drive (just new file(s)). Is that possible to do so with same
:inode number (for NFS)?

You would need a fairly sophisticated file-system-specific disk
mirroring utility to do that incremental update. There's no way you
could do it with just 'dd'. Furthermore, synchronizing the disk images
will have to be done with the file systems unmounted or mounted
read-only. If you try to copy a file system that is mounted read-write,
you will find that the destination FS has a bunch of fsck errors --
basically the sort of errors you find after pulling the power plug on a
running system.

  • Re: dd command question
    ... We have 2 NFS servers that has binaries and data Read Only. ... NFS find file based on inode number. ... they will have identical drives. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: NFS Question
    ... > I already have the drives I want to make into the NFS, ... Or can I just tell it which drives I want to use and it take over ... NFS isn't really a filesystem in the same way that ReiserFS or ext, ... You do not need to do anything specific to your current file systems, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: NFS Question
    ... >> I already have the drives I want to make into the NFS, ... Or can I just tell it which drives I want to use and it take over ... > NFS isn't really a filesystem in the same way that ReiserFS or ext, ... NFS is a protocol for making your existing file systems accessible ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [HPADM] SUMMARY hpux/linux dns issues
    ... We've been running hpux 11.00 nfs servers and linux compute boxes (RH7.3 ...
    (HP-UX-Admin)
  • Re: Atom/SATA Slowness and optimisation
    ... I bet this was over NFS? ... To a single disk? ... (I wish there was a better network filesystem with the same ... You also dont say if those two drives are RAIDed (though writes aren't ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)