vin wrote:

I'm completly new to linux, and i have only just installed a Red hat
fedora os. I have then downloaded a linux program (rpm file) and i
want to install it. If i double click it, a dialog opens and i select
"Install". It then runs and the dialog closes, but i can find no
shortcuts to the program that's supposed to have been installed, and i
don't know where to look for executables (like looking in C:\program
files for exe files on a Windows os).

What is the name of the program then?

For example, if you just install a program called emacs, you can find out all files that the emacs rpm put onto your system by this command:

$ rpm -q --filesbypkg emacs

And you will have result similiar to the following

emacs /usr/bin/emacs
emacs /usr/bin/emacs-21.3
emacs /usr/libexec/emacs/21.3/i386-redhat-linux
emacs /usr/libexec/emacs/21.3/i386-redhat-linux/fns-21.3.1.el
emacs /usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
emacs /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc
emacs /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/DOC-21.3.1

Among them, /usr/bin/emacs is the executable that you can run to launch the program (i.e., emacs); and usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
is the menu entry that will appear in you menu. If you copy it onto your Desktop, it becomes the desktop "shortcut" (a bad windoze name convention).

Let's play my favorite game at