Re: A REAL NEWBIE QUESTION

vin wrote:
Hi,

I'm completly new to linux, and i have only just installed a Red hat
fedora os. I have then downloaded a linux program (rpm file) and i
want to install it. If i double click it, a dialog opens and i select
"Install". It then runs and the dialog closes, but i can find no
shortcuts to the program that's supposed to have been installed, and i
don't know where to look for executables (like looking in C:\program
files for exe files on a Windows os).

What is the name of the program then?

For example, if you just install a program called emacs, you can find out all files that the emacs rpm put onto your system by this command:

$ rpm -q --filesbypkg emacs

And you will have result similiar to the following

emacs /usr/bin/emacs
emacs /usr/bin/emacs-21.3
emacs /usr/libexec/emacs/21.3/i386-redhat-linux
emacs /usr/libexec/emacs/21.3/i386-redhat-linux/fns-21.3.1.el
emacs /usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
emacs /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc
emacs /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/DOC-21.3.1
$

Among them, /usr/bin/emacs is the executable that you can run to launch the program (i.e., emacs); and usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
is the menu entry that will appear in you menu. If you copy it onto your Desktop, it becomes the desktop "shortcut" (a bad windoze name convention).

HTH,

KB
--
Let's play my favorite game at http://www.xbill.org/

  • Re: rsync progress
    ... rpm was also installed. ... I don't think you /can/ install rpm on Ubuntu. ... Package management systems are one of the deepest divides between Linux distros. ... The first distro, pretty much, was the Softlanding Linux System, SLS. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • FW: [SLE] YaST Online Update Problem
    ... >>update one of the rpms manually to see if rpm will give you a better error ... >SuSE to try to apply one of the patches? ... >I've always used YaST for Online Updates and for installing new packages. ... Not only that, but at the end of the install, it ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to install Java/Frefox in FC6 -
    ... just don't trust java and rpm in the same breath, ... recall that when building packages, you always opt for ./configure && ... make && make install and I don't recall a single instance where you have ... I rebuilt kde to kde-3.3.0 using konstruct, didn't fix it. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Dependencies
    ... Should you install it or no? ... RPM is just a low-level tool that does one thing and that one ... If getting the GPG keys causes you heartburn, ... > To stay in the RPM subject, Apache give keys for their tarball versions. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Three newbie questions!
    ... You can see the main groups, then the applications ... Until you get to know the names of applications, it is best to use RPM ... You normally find a README, an INSTALL, and a doc ... If you have installed any libraries, then you must run the following ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)