Re: A REAL NEWBIE QUESTION

vin wrote:
Hi,

I'm completly new to linux, and i have only just installed a Red hat
fedora os. I have then downloaded a linux program (rpm file) and i
want to install it. If i double click it, a dialog opens and i select
"Install". It then runs and the dialog closes, but i can find no
shortcuts to the program that's supposed to have been installed, and i
don't know where to look for executables (like looking in C:\program
files for exe files on a Windows os).

What is the name of the program then?

For example, if you just install a program called emacs, you can find out all files that the emacs rpm put onto your system by this command:

$ rpm -q --filesbypkg emacs

And you will have result similiar to the following

emacs /usr/bin/emacs
emacs /usr/bin/emacs-21.3
emacs /usr/libexec/emacs/21.3/i386-redhat-linux
emacs /usr/libexec/emacs/21.3/i386-redhat-linux/fns-21.3.1.el
emacs /usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
emacs /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc
emacs /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/DOC-21.3.1
$

Among them, /usr/bin/emacs is the executable that you can run to launch the program (i.e., emacs); and usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
is the menu entry that will appear in you menu. If you copy it onto your Desktop, it becomes the desktop "shortcut" (a bad windoze name convention).

HTH,

KB
--
Let's play my favorite game at http://www.xbill.org/