Re: dual processors and linux

In comp.os.linux.misc Tyler McHenry <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I hereby accuse Michael Heiming of stating:

In comp.os.linux.misc Ram <ram0na@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
First off, the way they are sold today, a doubling in size of their
given number does NOT mean that the CPU is running twice as fast.

What do you mean by this? Doubling the size of what given number?

The labeling of CPU is sometimes confusing, there is a AMD 2400
in this box but its frequency is just close to 2000 MHz according
to /proc/cpuinfo. Perhaps this was meant?

This is indeed intentional. Back around the time when AMD introduced their
XP line of processors, the AMD and Intel processor design philosophies were
going in two completely different directions. The best way to explain it in
layman's terms is this:

The "hertz" number, or "clock rate" of a processor tells you how
many "cycles" it goes through every second. How much "work" is done in a
given "cycle", however, is variable. Intel chose to produce processors with
very short cycles that did little bits of work, whereas AMD chose to
produce processors with longer cycles that did more work.

True, "Hz == Hertz" is a SI unit named after the German
scientist Heinrich Rudolf Hertz means 1/second (second^-1). IMHO
AMD CPU usually outperform their Intel counterparts easily at
least under Linux. That's why I use them. ;-)

[stuff]

mail: echo zvpunry@xxxxxxxxxx | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 289: Interference between the keyboard and
the chair.

  • Re: What if Nvida bought AMD next year????
    ... Why would you think AMD has no good reason to continue? ... I know AMD/ATI have not been as quick in coming out with new chips lately, and it to some degree seems like they are now trying to play "catch up" with Intel. ... The future is to integrate the GPU and CPU into one chip, which will basically be a multi-core GPU with some firmware to allow it to function as a multi-core CPU. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • AMD or Intel: performance, price and ethics
    ... The first thing to decide is obviously whether to use a AMD or Intel ... CPU. ... so why pay the extra price? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: AMD versus Intel
    ... suggests that AMD can't compete with Intel at the high end of the CPU ... that computers dropped into easily-affordable ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Time for a new PC, which motherboard?
    ... AMD setup, but intel is good too. ... after I get the CPU and motherboard chosen. ... Whether to go AMD or Intel CPU? ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Time for a new PC, which motherboard?
    ... AMD setup, but intel is good too. ... I get the CPU and motherboard chosen. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)