Re: Winmonitors are here!

Larry Bristol wrote:

Marten Kemp wrote:

I think that IBM's interested in 'Linux for the zSeries' because
it allows them to pitch their Industrial Scale Servers to another
market. "Server consolidation" takes on a whole new meaning when
one mainframe can replace a couple of hundred ordinary servers,
and even better when the corporate datacenter either has or can
easily add sufficient capacity. It's even better when running
Linux under zVM because you can create servers rather simply on
the fly as they're required.

I'm not sure that replacing "ordinary" servers with a mainframe is their
(IBM's) real goal. IBM mainframe customers have literally billions of
dollars invested in what are sometimes referred to as "legacy"
applications.

There is simply no budget for converting these applications to another
platform (even if anyone considered that to be a good idea in the first
place). I've been following a thread (I think it is in this newsgroup)
about the relative amount of gain achieved by using multiple processors
with some amusement. If one really could get twice the performance out of
dual processors (all other factors being equal), then you could strap
enough of them together to equal a mainframe. I thought the old infinite
scalability argument was put to bed years ago!

But if IBM provides a facility that allows those customers to keep those
existing legacy applications that need the processing power of a mainframe
to support the current and projected transaction rates, but then make all
of that data available to new distributed applications, there are going to
be a lot of fortune 500 companies (about 500 of them, I would project),
that would sit up and BARK!

If only I believed that IBM had the vision to pull that off ...

IBM already has such a facility: zVM and Linux for the zSeries.
And yes, lots of big corporations are taking notice. This is
about the third hit that I found when Googling for "linux mainframe":
http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2860720,00.html

According to Scott Courtney, a senior engineer at large scale systems
and network integrator Sine Nomine Associates, you can use LPARs to
carve a zSeries mainframe into fifteen physical partitions or resource
pools, each of which can be further divided into multiple virtual Linux
machines using z/VM. Doing so, says Courtney, provides a host of further
advantages. "For starters, you are not limited to 15 Linux machines. My
company has customers that are running hundreds of Linux virtual
machines on a single mainframe, within a single LPAR, while legacy
mainframe batch systems continue to run on other LPARs. In a test-lab
situation, one of our engineers has successfully booted over 97,000
Linux virtual machines simultaneously on a single mainframe, with each
of these Linux instances running a Web server application under
simulated load. We don't recommend trying to consolidate 97,000 servers
onto one mainframe--this was just a lab test--but several hundred is no
problem at all, depending on the nature of the application(s)."

--
-- Marten Kemp
(Fix name and ISP to reply)

  • Re: Wow -- thats some servers
    ... Once we've passed the mainframes, the mid-range machines, etc., we get ... The blade servers are HP or IBM. ... was no mainframe. ... It was even more surprising when I started programming -- all of the ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Enquiry regarding Linux in Mission Critical situation
    ... |>>>>>mainframe out of UNIX boxes. ... |>>Nope, if you dig deep enough, a lot of the Net is on a mainframe. ... |>a) News servers tend to run INN, ... company was also running it on IBM System/360 machines with, IIRC, ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: Migration from Mainframe to othre platforms - the othe bell?
    ... Once they start multiplying the number of little servers they need to run the ... The mainframe people know how to write fault tolerant applications. ... El contenido del presente mensaje y sus anexos es privado, ... profesional o por disposiciones legales y/o reglamentarias vigentes. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: 25 reasons why hardware is still hot at IBM
    ... there are fewer fibre HBAs in most servers than there are FICON ... http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010h.html#51 25 reasons why hardware is still hot at IBM ... group had been told that they had to use PS2 microchannel adapter cards ... mainframe servers, you can bet that IBM is not exactly enthusiastic ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Mainframe Applications and Records Keeping?
    ... but can it also run on the Transactional Processing servers? ... all the banking accounts, Credit Card transactions, billing, and ... And one more question regarding security...Is SUSE Linux a very secure ... OS to be running on a Transactional Mainframe servers or UNIX would be ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)