Re: Problems with SanDisk USB stick

Steven Jones <sjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

I have just got a 4 GB SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB stick. My Linux
recognizes it fine, and after formatting it with ext2, I can mount it
fine as an ext2 filesystem. Here is where the problems begin.

The stick is mounted on /mnt/usbstick. If (as root) I create a
D on the drive, the directory seems to be created with no problems:

/mnt/usbdisk# ls -l
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-07-10 18:07 D
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2006-07-10 17:47 lost+found

I can then copy stuff (files and dirs) to D, and everything still
to be OK. I now unmount it, and a while later I mount it again. Here
is the result of ls -l:

/mnt/usbdisk# ls -l
total 404232232
?---rw---- 12336 808464432 808464432 808464432 1995-08-14 22:27 D
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2006-07-10 17:47

What is going on? Why is D so thoroughly messed up? To add insult
injury, when I try to remove D I get the following:

/mnt/usbdisk# rm D
rm: remove write-protected weird file `D'? y
rm: cannot remove `D': Operation not permitted

Any ideas as how to get around this? This behavior renders the

Two little bits: 1. could you show us your /etc/fstab 2. have you tried
ext3? Other than that I'm out of ideas. You might peruse the howto's at, but I'd have to look at them myself to give you a better
answer. You might cleaning usb connectors the connector on the computer
with canned air also or try a different plug on the computer.

(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Relevant Pages