Re: Problems with SanDisk USB stick

Steven Jones <sjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:pan.2006.07.11.01.22.11.581737@xxxxxxxxxx:

I have just got a 4 GB SanDisk Cruzer Mini USB stick. My Linux
box
recognizes it fine, and after formatting it with ext2, I can mount it
fine as an ext2 filesystem. Here is where the problems begin.

The stick is mounted on /mnt/usbstick. If (as root) I create a
directory
D on the drive, the directory seems to be created with no problems:

/mnt/usbdisk# ls -l
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-07-10 18:07 D
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2006-07-10 17:47 lost+found

I can then copy stuff (files and dirs) to D, and everything still
seems
to be OK. I now unmount it, and a while later I mount it again. Here
is the result of ls -l:

/mnt/usbdisk# ls -l
total 404232232
?---rw---- 12336 808464432 808464432 808464432 1995-08-14 22:27 D
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2006-07-10 17:47
lost+found

What is going on? Why is D so thoroughly messed up? To add insult
injury, when I try to remove D I get the following:

/mnt/usbdisk# rm D
rm: remove write-protected weird file `D'? y
rm: cannot remove `D': Operation not permitted

Any ideas as how to get around this? This behavior renders the
stick
useless.

Two little bits: 1. could you show us your /etc/fstab 2. have you tried
ext3? Other than that I'm out of ideas. You might peruse the howto's at
tldp.org, but I'd have to look at them myself to give you a better
answer. You might cleaning usb connectors the connector on the computer
with canned air also or try a different plug on the computer.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )