Re: using a linux box to provide internet to a bunch of windows boxes

BradShoults@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Can anyone tell me how I can set up a linux box to provide internet to
some windows pc's?

I would get one of the Linux distributions that are built to be a secure
firewall. Since they are designed as a firewall, they do not contain all
the stuff that does not belong on a firewall server, desktop apps and the
like. They also come with tools to help configure and manage the firewall.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/Secure/

Some that seem to be good:

http://www.endian.it/en/community/about/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipcop/
http://www.smoothwall.org/
--
Still waiting for a rational answer from Bittwister to this:
<nfqlo3-qds.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

  • Re: Need advice about hacking and security
    ... All of my email accounts - Hotmail, Yahoo, ... > Outlook also requires a lot of tweaking to secure it. ... In some states, there are laws with teeth, ... > You probably need a firewall to start. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: What security package for SBS?
    ... I have a secure Windows network. ... I also have a secure MacMini and on occasion a secure Ubuntu. ... With a business class firewall stripping crap off all incoming traffic and properly implemented security policies in addition to giving your users absolutely no admin rights, there is no reason to believe you can't create a secure Microsoft Network. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Firewall - Limit Geographic Area
    ... Firewall - Limit Geographic Area ... > times more secure than a Microsoft Windows machine can be). ... Redhat is conservative about what they release ... > - do not reuse passwords between your server and, say, random ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: EARTHLINKHOMEPAGE
    ... Clean up and Secure your computer. ... Windows Update ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... I see that AntiVirus software is an absolute necessity. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: PC Hack Prob
    ... Windows Update ... Have I mentioned that Microsoft has some stuff to help secure your computer ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ... ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE ...