Re: recommend a linux

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:02:50 -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

On 2006-08-18, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:48:23 -0700, note wrote:

What's are the big differences between mandriva 2006 free, fedora 5,
and opensuse 10.1?

The graphical differences you can see for yourself right here:

http://shots.osdir.com/

The graphical differences are meaningless, unless you are showing
different administrative tools, and even then it doesn't mean much.

You can install any desktop environment on any distribution. My
desktop looks the same whether I'm running Mandriva, Fedora, SUSE,
Ubuntu or LFS. If my daughter or granddaughter uses my computer,
their desktops look very different, from each other as well as from
mine.

But of course...

How does one even answer such a question though? You can say
things like "mandriva detected out of the box <my_obscure_hardware>"
while FC5 did not. This may, or may not be relevant to the OP.
The remaining differences (including the look and feel, and the
admin tools) of course are not that major, hence not worth explaining.
That's why I thought I'd confine myself to some eye candy.

Don't know if this is worth debating any further.

.