Re: windows to linux relation

On 2006-08-18, onemore.1@xxxxxxxxx <onemore.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can someone tell alternatives to windows in suse.
1. c:\program files
2. c:\windows
3. c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp
4. c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp\temporary
internet files
5. c:\documents and settings\user\my documents

*nix and Windows filesystem hierarchies are quite different, but some
adherence to the Unix filesystem hierarchy is common:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

6. microsoft office (dont mention open office)

Why not? But if you insist, there's koffice nd any number of stand-alone
programs, e.g. AbiWord, gnumeric, etc.

7. setupofanyprogram.exe

SuSE is rpm-based, so you can just use rpm like in RedHat, Mandriva,
Fedora, and other distributions. But SuSE also has a tool called "YaST"
that provides a front-end to rpm among other things.

8. .executable

Filename extensions are not used to denote executable files in *nix;
instead, the "executable" file attribute is set using chmod.

9. msdos(i know it's terminal but how do you open it)

If you're using X, just open a terminal session.

10. disk defragmentator

Unneccessary. Disk fragmentation is a Windows-only feature.

11. backup

Multiple tools are available. What type of backup medium do you plan to
use?

12. cuteftp pro alternative

What's "cuteftp pro?" I assume some kind of ftp client, of which you
will find many in *nix. I like ncftp.

13. internet explorer(dont tell me firefox) (is internet explorer
available for linux) (url)

Why not firefox? And no, IE is *NOT* available for *nix, nor is it ever
likely to be available. You could run it using wine, if you insist, but
why would you want to? If you don't like firefox, there are numerous
other browsers you can use, including Mozilla, Netscape (no longer
actively developed), Opera, konqueror, galleon, dillo, lynx, and
probably more.

14. go here(http://messenger.yahoo.com/unix.php) which one on the right
side should i download for suse 10.1

Don't bother. Use "gaim" instead: http://gaim.sourceforge.net

15.dameon tools

Sure. Lots of 'em. What did you have in mind?

--

John (john@xxxxxxxxxxx)

  • Re: windows to linux relation
    ... with microsoft office, now 2007 beta. ... Also, if i use firefox, some secure websites and other javascript ... SuSE is rpm-based, so you can just use rpm like in RedHat, Mandriva, ... Filename extensions are not used to denote executable files in *nix; ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Spice Accelerator Hardware?
    ... At least on this one function SuSE seems to be much faster. ... That has nothing whatsoever do so with the core Windows vs. SuSE OSes, ... so are plenty of the included bits of any *NIX OS as well. ...
    (sci.electronics.cad)
  • Re: [SLE] Need opinions on 10.0
    ... > I'm now the proud recipient of a box containing SUSE (notice the change in ... > do have MS Project installed on *nix to allow for the one file type I need at ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to set encoding in an X/konsole window?
    ... I'm glad they're using *nix for POS systems. ... I am hoping someone's actually using one, in SuSE 9.3, that will fit ... The app runs fine on RH systems, but the client for this job is adamant ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)