Re: How to create a boot diskette & use of fsck & tune2fs

Stegozor wrote:

Hi everyone,

I recently switched to Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) GNU/Linux, ext3
filesystem. I was regularly using SCANDISK and CHKDSK /F under Windows,
but I couldn't find an easy way to do the equivalent with Ubuntu. As one
must unmount partitions before running fsck, and as one cannot unmount /
and /home when he's connected (note that there's no root account in
Ubuntu, so I can't unmount /home either), I'm stuck. In fact, I'd like
to create a boot diskette, and to run fsck from it from time to time,
without waiting for the disks to be mounted 30 times befire Ubuntu
checks them. That brings my second question:

I'd also like to create a boot diskette. I found the mkbootdisk package,
but it's a .rpm and after having used alien to transform it into a deb
package, it doesn't create properly the boot floppy. What's the (if
possible simple, remember FORMAT A: /S under DOS) command or the package
necessary for doing this with a debian based distro? Please don't tell
me to use the LiveCD, I don't have it anymore, I gave it to a friend.

TIA.

Head on over to http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

download the .iso and make TWO CD copies (one for your friend).
The CD boots quickly and serves up a lot of maintenance/rescue
tools, including fsck.

The on-line docs at the website describe how to set up a sysrescue
collection on a small partition (150-200mB) on your HD and boot
it via lilo or grub. Starts up even faster.

Very handy stuff.

  • Re: New to Ubuntu
    ... Ubuntu has several software repositories, not all of which are enabled ... There is also a package search in the Firefox search box ... I don't mean after X has started but on the initial boot. ... If a kernel security hole is found, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.
    ... Yaboot simply can't load OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing happens. ... I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot. ... it says that the line beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device path to the OSX boot partition. ... You can use the mouse to select your OSX or your Ubuntu drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore /boot? (wiped out by ubuntu install)
    ... ubuntu *insisted* on ... The other choice was to use the /boot partition on /dev/sda which was also in use by fc 6. ... create a new partition where you can boot ubuntu from. ... Since both the fc 6 on sda and f8 installed on sdb are lvm based, creating a new partition would require wiping the drive, I think, Instead I had created some new LogVol's on the copious free space of 500G sdb for ubuntu where it installed OK previously. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Checking the file system every 22 boots
    ... When I boot up the computer, ... fsck to complete. ... When you shutdown the computer, you need it to be as ... there, and I don't know if debian uses the same settings as ubuntu, but I ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)