Re: How to make Knoppix USB writable?

lowrider napisal(a):

I use DSL/Feather distros which automatically mount /dev/sda1 to /cdrom
rw(spy /etc/fstab).

Yes, Knoppix do it in the same way. My knoppix filesystem's usb is
mounted to /cdrom
Can Knoppix be remastered for rw mounting /dev/sda1 to /cdrom (with
knoppix filesystem)
You need to be superuser to write to it.
You can
also prefix your mv/cp command by sudo to successfully write to it.
Very useful for customizing DSL on USB.

So If i want to work just like on normal linux dektop (with possiblity
for having files wrote to desktop etc.) so i need to be logged as root
in desktop environment ? Does it make sense ?

Or maybe one of directories could be mouted as read write directory for
writing files freely when working (a second partition on flash drive)?

Cheers, Paul

  • Re: Only wall paper, no desktop icons
    ... Then I boot trhe notebook with this cd, which means I have to change the ... Then with the usb ext hdd attached to the notebook,...(I lost you from ... Boot the laptop with either Knoppix or a Bart's PE ... > An easy way to retrieve Windows files is to boot with Knoppix, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: cant boot into safe mode have antivirus xp 2008
    ... assuming that if I bought the USB housing and put either of my two HD's ... You can use Ubuntu or Knoppix, but you don't install it. ... with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Getting files from the hard drive without windows being engage
    ... I'm not sure if ntsfs4dos will see a usb thumbdrive since I've never ... To retrieve data off a non-booting Windows hard drive (where ... Knoppix is a Linux distro on a live cd. ... (and sometimes it won't with a damaged slave), ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Reintroducing... my new PC!
    ... daughter and got a 1 Gb USb 2.0 one that resides in my pocket. ... I keep a copy of Knoppix in the tool box, and the USB drivers for the thumb drive on the drive. ... Then I just boot with Knoppix, copy the drivers over, then reboot into Win95, and everything is there on the hard drive where I need it. ... as nobody I would do personal computer work for has NTFS partitions and the business people have other precautions. ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)
  • Re: Only wall paper, no desktop icons
    ... > desktop with cdrw and a usb ext hdd. ... you burnt the Knoppix .iso in Nero by ... 2) Knoppix mounts the drives Read Only. ... Now left-click once on hda1 or whatever icon represents your Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)