The Gimp keeps crashing >-(

Mepis 6.0
Gimp 2.2.11 (most upto date version in repos)

I've been trying to edit some photos, but the Gimp crashes before I can
finish :( I'm getting really annoyed as it's not as if I'm dealing with
huge files nor am I doing anything major - I'm just trying to do some
simple selects...

I think I've traced some errors in my .xsession_errors file:

(script-fu:10985): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read(): error
xauth: creating new authority file /home/chris/.Xauthority
kdesu (kdelibs): WARNING: No X authentication info set for display :0.0
xauth: creating new authority file /home/chris/.Xauthority
kdesu (kdelibs): WARNING: No X authentication info set for display :0.0
xauth: creating new authority file /home/chris/.Xauthority
kdesu (kdelibs): WARNING: No X authentication info set for display :0.0
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x2c00007
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 19
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x300000e

I've no idea what's causing this nor how to resolve it? Is this a 'bad'
version of the Gimp? Can someone help me, please? I really need to get
hte gimp working.
TIA
.