Re: Installed New IDE HD, Now Fedora Won't Boot from SCSI HD

mobo: Intel 82440BX/ZX

Bill Waddington wrote:
On 28 Oct 2006 10:43:36 -0700, "Dan" <dan_hoffard@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The problem is that I originally had a single SCSI HD and added an IDE
drive. Now the computer wants to boot from the IDE drive, but the SCSI
HD is the boot device. In the boot order, SCSI is not an option (Just
C:\). This computer was obviously built for Windows.

Is it time to just give up and install grub on the IDE drive and
chainload the grub on the SCSI drive?

Can grub see the SCSI drive @ boot time if BIOS isn't co-operating?

Has someone already suggested this????

In your shoes I would boot a Linux CD or boot your existing install
by other means, set up a /boot/grub dir on the IDE drive, copy the
grub files there, maybe touch <ide drive>/boot/grub/ide_flag (or
something), run grub:

grub> find /boot/grub/ide_flag
it reports (hdx,y)
root (hdx,y)
setup (hdx)
quit

vi <ide drive>/boot/grub/menu.lst
stuff in an entry that points to the mbr of your scsi drive
or the /boot partition on it if that's where the local grub
lives

move on

(Actually, in your shoes I would probably go up in smoke trying
to get the BIOS to behave...)

Just pulled this out of my backside. Not responsible for
typos/thinkos. YMMV.

Bill
--
William D Waddington