Re: Installed New IDE HD, Now Fedora Won't Boot from SCSI HD

mobo: Intel 82440BX/ZX

Bill Waddington wrote:
On 28 Oct 2006 10:43:36 -0700, "Dan" <dan_hoffard@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The problem is that I originally had a single SCSI HD and added an IDE
drive. Now the computer wants to boot from the IDE drive, but the SCSI
HD is the boot device. In the boot order, SCSI is not an option (Just
C:\). This computer was obviously built for Windows.

Is it time to just give up and install grub on the IDE drive and
chainload the grub on the SCSI drive?

Can grub see the SCSI drive @ boot time if BIOS isn't co-operating?

Has someone already suggested this????

In your shoes I would boot a Linux CD or boot your existing install
by other means, set up a /boot/grub dir on the IDE drive, copy the
grub files there, maybe touch <ide drive>/boot/grub/ide_flag (or
something), run grub:

grub> find /boot/grub/ide_flag
it reports (hdx,y)
root (hdx,y)
setup (hdx)
quit

vi <ide drive>/boot/grub/menu.lst
stuff in an entry that points to the mbr of your scsi drive
or the /boot partition on it if that's where the local grub
lives

move on

(Actually, in your shoes I would probably go up in smoke trying
to get the BIOS to behave...)

Just pulled this out of my backside. Not responsible for
typos/thinkos. YMMV.

Bill
--
William D Waddington
william.waddington@xxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: boot strangeness - FC2 scsi - expanded.
    ... >> the grub to access SCSI drives. ... >> After the choice is made the kernel is accessed but then the machine ... > Well I am moving slowly towards solving the slow boot problem. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora Core 2/Windows XP dual boot: selecting Linux doesnt work
    ... >> This Maxtor 6L080M0 is an SCSI Disk Device, ... I suppose that would be hd1 to grub. ... > This points at grub's boot code area on hdc1. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: unable to boot new kernel!
    ... [newly compiled kernel won't boot from grub] ... Grub partition numbers ... Are you booting from a SCSI drive or USB or SATA drive? ... the boot loader. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • Re: Installed New IDE HD, Now Fedora Wont Boot from SCSI HD
    ... Now the computer wants to boot from the IDE drive, but the SCSI ... chainload the grub on the SCSI drive? ... That might explain the failure to find one of the stage2 files, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux + Promise ATA RAID Controller
    ... >> I'm having trouble getting a Fedora Core 1 box to boot off a Promise ... >> It installs ok, but when i reboot after the install, i get dumped to ... >> directly the grub prompt, ... >> scsi boot device due to the RAID. ...
    (alt.os.linux)