Re: grub invalid PT

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:38:43 +0000, john connolly wrote:

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 07:22:15 -0700, Douglas Mayne wrote:

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:53:48 +0000, john connolly wrote:

<snip>

It's over until next time you do something to futz up your system. Take
some time to learn about the boot loader.

Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate advice on where to look in case
I do something stupid again.
jwc

My first post explained how to install grub on a disk with multiple
distributions. It also alluded to how to recognize problems caused
by missing kernel modules vs. problems with the loader. The error messages
usually make it clear what is wrong. If nothing happens, then your MBR
may not have been setup. If grub hangs, or issues an error, then grub
needs to be fixed. If the kernel is loaded, but later issues a panic, then
the root filesystem may not be mounted due to a missing kernel module.
Missing kernel modules can be provided by building an initrd. Making
an initrd is distribution specific, but for slackware start with "man
mkinitrd"

Grub's documentation is very mature at this point. Check the manual here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

You can skim over sections which are not relevent to your situation. The
wikipedia article is a good overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRand_Unified_Bootloader

There are some simple exercises you can do with grub, too.
Making a grub floppy:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Creating-a-GRUB-boot-floppy

Making a grub bootable CD:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD_002dROM

The usual caveats apply to these exercises. You can do great damage to
your system when changing/experimenting with the boot loader, MBR, and
individual partition boot code. Be careful (and have a current backup.)

For another exercise, try installing slackware on a USB stick:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/msg/f45fd1173b080c3a

The above post includes an overview of what is necessary to boot. That
thread continues here (with corrections, caveats):
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/msg/b70ebe8bbc58ad3b

--
Douglas Mayne

  • Re: grub invalid PT
    ... some time to learn about the boot loader. ... My first post explained how to install grub on a disk with multiple ... Missing kernel modules can be provided by building an initrd. ... The usual caveats apply to these exercises. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Vista SP2 Install Problems (Extended)
    ... I have a setup similar to a number of threads I've read here: ... Realizing, finally, the lack of Vista's boot loader being present is ... When I load the Vista Disc ... Once you install grub, BCD is dead and you cannot get it back even using the Vista DVD repair...won't happen, as you've noticed. ...
  • Re: Dual Boot Windows XP and Fedora Core 8
    ... GRUB boot loader and proceeded to advanced configurations and choose ... To run GRUB requires you have another boot loader that has an option to load ... the GRUB from sda2, so until you fixed this, you won't be able to boot into Linux. ... I suggest you install GRUB to MBR instead, this way GRUB will be loaded at the ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • RE: GRUB failure
    ... GRUB is loading part of the boot loader on the second drive. ... apparently thinks that linux is on the second drive. ... when both are in the same GRUB directory. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Grub sucks with Error 13!!!
    ... > Fedora at the moment. ... The linux part loads perfectly. ... what makes you think it is a grub problem. ... Unless there is no xp boot loader where grub is transferring control. ...
    (Fedora)