Re: Questions from somebody who has never used Linux

Dan Espen wrote:
"Steve" <Steve.ebay@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi Guys and Guyesses,
As the title says, I have never used Linux before, even though I have
heard good things about it.
My main problem, apart from being a techno-klutz, is that I am scared
to bite the bullet and install Linux from a Ubuntu disk I have
received. For one thing, I don't know if all my accessories like
webcam, bluetooth keyboard etc will still function properly and also
because I hear the Ubuntu version is a bit "weak", whatever that means.
Anyway, to the point of the post.
I have just got hold of a second PC, It's still pretty good spec for
bog standard use with a 3.2 Ghz CPU and a gig of RAM. The only thing it
doesn't do is cure me of being a klutz where PCs are concerned.
What I hope you experienced folk can tell me/show me is ...............
Which version would be best for a novice?
Is there somewhere I can download that version?
Is it possible to download that version, create a bootable disk and
boot the PC so that it installs itself without too much help from me in
the same sort of way that a Windows XP disk would?

Linux installs are just as simple as XP.
Maybe simpler.
If you've done enough Windows installs, you should know that
most times it is easy, sometimes not. Same with Linux.

I have no experience with ubuntu but I hear it's fine.
I've done Mandriva, Fedora, Suse, Red Hat installs.
All the installs are easy.

You should try gentoo one day. I've just wasted half a day going
half thru the installation instructions just to get a message from
emerge
that ebuild is not available for anything you can point your finger at.
That's my second and probably last attempt to install gentoo
although the documentation have improved considerably since I
tried to install that distro last year.

  • Re: Questions from somebody who has never used Linux
    ... As the title says, I have never used Linux before, even though I have ... because I hear the Ubuntu version is a bit "weak", ... desktop and thus have a preference for Kubuntu that installs the KDE ... make no effort to mimic Windows. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Questions from somebody who has never used Linux
    ... As the title says, I have never used Linux before, even though I have ... to bite the bullet and install Linux from a Ubuntu disk I have ... because I hear the Ubuntu version is a bit "weak", ... Linux installs are just as simple as XP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Keeping Wi-Fi Always Within Range
    ... distros I've downloaded and installed on some of my old computers over ... Linux can drive you to drinking. ... I ran into some Linux installs where I just could never make ... It also came with a disk of drivers for XP. ...
    (alt.cellular.verizon)
  • Re: OT: Linux?
    ... It installs all ubuntu SO in a file in the windows file system like any other windows application and add an entry to the boot menu to run this SO. ... I just received a free CD with Ubuntu Linux on it, ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.jazz)
  • Re: Customized Debian - Was: What are some common problems when using Debian GNU / LINUX?
    ... I've got much more than four installs on my machine. ... The reason for having tons of Linux installs is, ... Since Linux can't show the partitions inside the BSD slice, ... my setup is seen by FreeBSD: ...
    (Debian-User)