Re: A newbie - What are differences between Red Hat Linux 9 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

Thank everyone here and I think I get more than I expect, although I
cannot understand all of them :-)

I am so sorry, just a quick follow-up question - I have checked Redhat
website, it is said that FC is for programmers, and Redhat Enterprise
is for business. I think others you guys mentioned, like Debian, are
for professional programmer? I would like user interface and
concentrate on learning some commands, not development or

Since I am a business student, I would like to learn the right version
which can be used in future (Maybe). So what I learn from FC, e.g.
commands and programming, can be applied in Enterprise, right? If FC is
totally different from Enterprise used in commercial world, is there
any others?

Thank you so much! Sorry to bother you!

A helpless person who wants to learn Linux - Fei

"W Paul Mills 写道:

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

One thing that I find most annoying is that FC/RH seem to go to great
extents to hide the shell under layers of menus upon menus, on top of more
menus, all different from one release to another. Seems their notion of
user friendly amounts to hiding the shell. If MS does it, why won't FC?
Or is it the gnome people? That, and the top panel in gnome drives me
crazy with each install. But's just me being picky.

Never having used RH, I can't really comment on that, but I do know
that the gnome configuration seems to change with every release. It
also seems to be less friendly in that regard with each release. Soon
gnome will become useless at this rate.

Happy to use my Debian ;-)

Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Inconsistent behaviour of menus
    ... update or software install that adds or repopulates the Gnome menus. ... you don't run Gnome while getting updates or log out and in ...
  • Re: F12: Gnome "Menubar" missing on multiple applications,
    ... But per F12 those seemed gone. ... I did go as far as cleaning my entire default repos on the GNOME ... I recently installed globalmenu for Gnome. ... menus for GTK apps even when I am not in Gnome. ...
  • Re: Configuring Gnome fallback
    ... all the menus in both Gnome 3 and Gnome-fallback are in black and ... Alternatively, try not installing GNOME. ... I tried LXDE and if something could be sorted with the menus it would be a good alternative, ... the everyday apps are gnome apps which is also a pain. ...
  • Re: FC4->FC5 upgrade options -- and GUIs
    ... It was tried to assume that if a computer could hibernate or suspend, the suspend choice would show and the shutdown choice would not be available in the menu. ... It is not about user common sense as much as it is about how the menu structures are setup. ... Also with Gnome at least, the menus are always changing. ...
  • Re: F12: Gnome "Menubar" missing on multiple applications,
    ... you'll find a checkbox. ... I did go as far as cleaning my entire default repos on the GNOME ... I recently installed globalmenu for Gnome. ... Since then I have been unable to access the menus for GTK apps even when I am not in Gnome. ...