Re: KDE INSTALLATION

In comp.os.linux.misc Subha <subhadip21a@xxxxxxxxx>:
I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A
SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO
DOWNLOAD KDE.

Firstly, your caps-lock key seems to be enabled. If you ever
encounter that anything you type is in UPPER case, just look for
the caps-lock key and see if it activated? Deactivate it and it
should stop this, try it out it is magic! ;-)

1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT
WHICH FILE SHOULD I DOWNLOAD.I DOWNLOADED
kdeaccessibility-3.4.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm FILE FROM THIS SITE
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.3/AIX/5.1/.DID I DOWNLOAD RIGHT
ONE?

2)WHAT IS THE .RPM EXTENTION?

rpm == redhat package manager

The package management system redhat and many other popular
distro use. Just enter 'man rpm' for more info.

3)WHERE WILL I GET THE INSTRUCTION TO INSTALL IT?.

You need tons of packages in addition to a X server installation,
easiest should be through rhn or up2date which should resolve all
dependency for you.

Though even if RHEL 3 is still supported and will be for some
time, if you want more recent stuff, kernel 2.6, a recent KDE,
working hot plug (usb) and alike I'd suggest to check out FC6:

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Remember to run 'yum update' after installation once you have
internet connection to install all updates.

Good luck

mail: echo zvpunry@xxxxxxxxxx | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 147: Party-bug in the Aloha protocol.
.