Re: KDE INSTALLATION

In comp.os.linux.misc Subha <subhadip21a@xxxxxxxxx>:
I JUST STARTED USING LINUX.I WAS READING THE BEGINER'S TUTORIAL IN A
SITE.IT IS WRITTEN THAT KDE IS VERY USEFUL FOR BEGINNERS.SO I TRIED TO
DOWNLOAD KDE.

Firstly, your caps-lock key seems to be enabled. If you ever
encounter that anything you type is in UPPER case, just look for
the caps-lock key and see if it activated? Deactivate it and it
should stop this, try it out it is magic! ;-)

1)I AM USING ENTERPRISE RED HAT LINUX VERSION 3.I AM CONFUSED ABOUT
WHICH FILE SHOULD I DOWNLOAD.I DOWNLOADED
kdeaccessibility-3.4.3-1.aix5.1.ppc.rpm FILE FROM THIS SITE
ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4.3/AIX/5.1/.DID I DOWNLOAD RIGHT
ONE?

2)WHAT IS THE .RPM EXTENTION?

rpm == redhat package manager

The package management system redhat and many other popular
distro use. Just enter 'man rpm' for more info.

3)WHERE WILL I GET THE INSTRUCTION TO INSTALL IT?.

You need tons of packages in addition to a X server installation,
easiest should be through rhn or up2date which should resolve all
dependency for you.

Though even if RHEL 3 is still supported and will be for some
time, if you want more recent stuff, kernel 2.6, a recent KDE,
working hot plug (usb) and alike I'd suggest to check out FC6:

http://fedora.redhat.com/

Remember to run 'yum update' after installation once you have
internet connection to install all updates.

Good luck

mail: echo zvpunry@xxxxxxxxxx | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 147: Party-bug in the Aloha protocol.

  • Greetings / Newbie questions
    ... I am having a bit of trouble deciding which to use: Gnome or KDE. ... - Running Totem as Root (I've found that lots of things need to be done ... I have Installed Unreal Tournament 2004 for Linux. ... these current versions to be excellent in terms of ease of installation and ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • SuSE 9.1 Professional: KDE stops start after restart or reboot
    ... I just installed SuSE 9.1 Professional on an IBM Think Pad ... But having a problem about startup of KDE. ... Mode of the machine selected during installation: ... logged as root ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Best variant of Fedora for a Virtual Machine...?
    ... at the command line: obtaining terminal windows using KDE ... Konsole is the preferred terminal emulator in KDE. ... having tried to adopt the "Fedora ... You can have several different DE's coexisting on a single Fedora installation. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Wireless problem in Fedora13
    ... frustated with wireless not working in KDE. ... I can see it with iwlist wlan0 scan ... iwlagn: IntelWireless WiFi Link AGN driver for Linux, ... installed during the Fedora installation? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: FC5 32 bit or 64 bit
    ... The installation is successful. ... that kde has been gnome-ized to the point of not seeing many KDE apps ... the hatred ndiswrapper has generated. ... Copyright 2006 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, ...
    (Fedora)