Re: How to set /etc/fstab again after system has started

"voipfc" <voipfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As the original poster in this thread, there is a question I'd like to
ask.

Is there another file besides /etc/fstab that I can use for the mount
commands?

No, but of course you don't need a listing in /etc/fstab unless you
want a filesystem automatically mounted when the system boots.

Can I apply the mount command to some arbitrary file that contains the
/etc/fstab type of entries?

You can apply the mount command to any filesystem and mount
point that you choose, along with whatever options you choose,
regardless of what is in /etc/fstab.

All that /etc/fstab does is provide a list of filesystems for
1) automatic mounting at boot time, and 2) mounting otherwise
without having to provide all the details.

Originally /etc/fstab was a system configuration file used only
at boot time to indicate which filesystems were to be mounted.
It listed data needed for a "mount -a" command. Any fileystem
mounted at any other time or in any other way required the
complete information to be give on the command line.

Later the mount command was changed to use /etc/fstab for as
much information as possible even when it was just mounting a
single filesystem. Hence if it referenced an entry in
/etc/fstab, all the mount command needed was either the mount
point or the device special file for the partition.

Of course you can still use a command line to mount virtually
any filesystem regardless of what is in /etc/fstab.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@xxxxxxxxxx
.