Re: How to set /etc/fstab again after system has started

"voipfc" <voipfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As the original poster in this thread, there is a question I'd like to
ask.

Is there another file besides /etc/fstab that I can use for the mount
commands?

No, but of course you don't need a listing in /etc/fstab unless you
want a filesystem automatically mounted when the system boots.

Can I apply the mount command to some arbitrary file that contains the
/etc/fstab type of entries?

You can apply the mount command to any filesystem and mount
point that you choose, along with whatever options you choose,
regardless of what is in /etc/fstab.

All that /etc/fstab does is provide a list of filesystems for
1) automatic mounting at boot time, and 2) mounting otherwise
without having to provide all the details.

Originally /etc/fstab was a system configuration file used only
at boot time to indicate which filesystems were to be mounted.
It listed data needed for a "mount -a" command. Any fileystem
mounted at any other time or in any other way required the
complete information to be give on the command line.

Later the mount command was changed to use /etc/fstab for as
much information as possible even when it was just mounting a
single filesystem. Hence if it referenced an entry in
/etc/fstab, all the mount command needed was either the mount
point or the device special file for the partition.

Of course you can still use a command line to mount virtually
any filesystem regardless of what is in /etc/fstab.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) floyd@xxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: [SLE] Still cannot update beyond original KDE3.3--Exhausted and Depressed
    ... Open Yast, Click on Software, ... to attach the contents of the disks to the existing filesystem. ... mount point is the directory in the filesystem you will attach those ... > Like perhaps give the the exact command and where to ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: XFS and Power Failures [Was: Linux filesystems]
    ... to hose the filesystem to the point it couldn't mount. ... Vanilla XFS with noatime,notail like basic mount options. ... I dropped to fsck command line. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: SATA disk device naming ?
    ... > matter where/how you mount your drives, ... > into the proper places in the filesystem. ... help at boot time. ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: automount usb flash drive?
    ... devfs.conf only works for devices available at boot time. ... For a user to be able to use a filesystem, there are a couple of things ... The user in question must own the mount point. ... Normally usbdis notified of USB events, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: fstab and scsi
    ... You can label your filesystem using the e2label command: ... In case of duplicate filesystem labels, the first one found by the ... Strictly speaking the mount point directory is not required to be ...
    (linux.redhat)