Re: How to find out the current version of Linux + softwrae from COMMAND LINE ??

patmin@xxxxxxxxxxx (Patricia Mindanao) writes:
Assume a Linux system where I have ONLY command line access (e.g. through telnet).

How can I find out which Linux version is currently installed (Linux, RedHat, Ubuntu, Debian,....)
and which release number?

There is usually a file in the /etc directory which gives most of this
information. There is, however, no consistent filename.

try: more /etc/*version*
or: more /etc/*issue*
or even: uname -a

As for mail programs, then you probably need to look at the output
of 'ps aux'.

But the main question, of course, is *why* you need this infomation.
It's not as easy to set up linux spam zombies as Windows spam zombies.

Jack
--
Once, they feared you. Then they matched you. Now they are laughing
at you. Soon they will ignore you. You have lost.

  • Re: A new user
    ... I have RedHat 9.0 Pro and RedHat Fedora on a couple ... I'd second the support for Ubuntu. ... I've been messing with Linux for about ... 18 months before tanking Windows completely...for Ubuntu. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Is linux free
    ... Whats the percentage of people using Linux today, even on servers. ... politics played by redhat and suse. ... Ubuntu comes close, but no mp3 player. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Is linux free
    ... The company behind Ubuntu, Canonical, is ... But the main thing to point out is that linux, as in the linux kernel, ... The open source licenses also states that you may resell the open ... If you want a RedHat with software updates, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • 3Dcanvas error
    ... flavours of Linux (RedHat and Ubuntu) and I tried also two ways of ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: [opensuse] Intel Core Duo "buggy as hell"?
    ... opensuse, Redhat, Ubuntu or any one of the mryiad variants of Linux out ...
    (SuSE)