Re: What the f**k is wrong with CUPS!

nospam <no@xxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 23:28:52 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:

nospam wrote:
I've been using cups for several years with little problem.
Then I upgrade to Fedora Core 6, and my HP LaserJet 1300
no longer prints. It's connected to a Linksys print server.
When I attempt to send a test page, the USB light on the
print server turns off, the data light on the printer flashes,
and the print server is no longer pingable.

To my way of thinking, that means the Linksys print server has crashed.
I don't think it's really fair to blame Fedora for that...

You might want to see if there's any new firmware for the print server.

Firmware has been updated to the latest. As I mentioned, my wife's
PC can print to the linksys without a problem. My FC5 PC could
print without a problem. Only after upgrading to FC6 with the
major modifications, does it no longer work.

I suspect this isn't the printer driver -- it's at the wrong level for
that. It sounds like the Linksys can't cope with the printing protocol
that FC6 is sending.

Depending on the print server, there may be other protocols available to
you -- Unix-style lpd (and you may get your choice of variants),
SMB/CIFS, HP JetDirect, and possibly IPP. Take a look at what the print
server supports and try different options -- system-config-printer can
set up any of those.

Yes, I began looking into non-CUPS printing, but everything seems
tied to CUPS now. I would prefer to use CUPS, but it isn't working
in my case.

cups can print to lpd systems.

Again, post the content of /etc/cups/printers.conf

It is very suspicious that you said that you were unable to ping the
server. That sounds like a network problem or a printserver problem-- may
be triggered by cups.

I've tried several drivers, and have used the CUPS web interface and
kprinter to configure a printer. My system is completely updated. My
wife's Windows box prints to the same setup no problem, as did my PC
just prior to upgrading. This is extremely annoying.

system-config-printer has been completely rewritten for FC6, and is
supposed to be much better than the old one.

Have you tried completely removing the printer and setting it up again
using s-c-p?

Yes, I mentioned in my message I had tried both with no joy. Still
investigating. Thanks for your input...

When you set it up again, is it seen by the system, or do you have to
manually insert it?

Hope this helps,

James.

.