Re: external disk for booting linux: which technology

In article <vJWdnR7x35X0zuDY4p2dnA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/> wrote:

unix_fan wrote:

- SCSI (is dead, right?

SCA (Single Connector Attachment) SCSI is still wildly popular
on servers. Check out the high end Dell servers, for example.
80 pins to 68 pin adapters are widely available.

Here are your choices:
eSATA SATA 300 PATA 133 FireWire 800
Speed (Mbit/s) 2400 2400 1064 786
Cable length (m) 2 1 0.46 4.5
External Power? Yes Yes Yes No

FireWire 400 USB 2.0 SCA/U320 SCSI
Speed (Mbit/s) 400 480 2560
Cable length (m) 4.5 5 12
External Power? No See Note Yes

Note: USB hasc enough power to handle low-power laptop drives,
but not the typical overheated desktop drive.

Besides, don't 5" drives' spin-the-platters motors use 12V and USB only
provides 5V? Yes it can be converted, but still...

--
"As the last deep orange glow of the long sunset melted into the darkness of
the approaching night, as we lay there still entwined in an amorous embrace &

  • Configuring Fedora Core 4 & USB Flash drives?
    ... Plug in a USB thumb drive. ... drives->{mount drives when hot-plugged, media when ... ANSI SCSI revision: 01 CCS ... Dec 31 07:52:04 castaway kernel: Attached scsi ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: SCSI Problem
    ... FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm. ... >>> Adaptec AHA-2930CU PCI SCSI Adapter ... >>> USB 2.0 PCI ... When I>>> insert a CD of any type in any drive, the drives just grind away for a few ...
  • Re: My SBS backup has been failing.
    ... I have all of my servers on these. ... be USB, I tend to install the E-Sata card and connect them that way. ... Run /r on drives that report issues. ... plenty of room to do the backup. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: SCSI Problem
    ... marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm ... > Adaptec AHA-2930CU PCI SCSI Adapter ... > USB 2.0 PCI ... > I get the following error with my SCSI drives: ...
  • Re: External Drive Dock to Allow Hotswap SCSI to Attach by USB?
    ... I have SCSI on the box and USB 1.0. ... If I can use a SCSI device that cuts down to two hours. ... Here are a couple of SCSI to IDE. ... SCSI drives are much more expensive. ...
    (comp.arch.storage)