Re: Spinlock lockup on boot

Simen Martinussen writes:

try to go and grab the last kernel RPM you were running on FC5, and
manually install it with rpm (using the --oldpackage flag), then try to

I tried using the approach you recommended, with little success. I tried
to install the kernel using yum, but it didn't work. It simply didn't do
anything.

No, you did not try the approach I recommended. I didn't say anything about yum. You should've used the rpm command directly.

Actually, most programs didn't do anything. I then tried
"upgrading" from FC6 to FC5, but something went horribly wrong and I
couldn't make X work.

Yes, you cannot "upgrade" like that. This will never work.

Most programs now produced a segmentation fault. I
decided to simply reinstall FC5, and things pretty much work as they
should. Thanks for the help!

Useful trick to keep in mind for the future:

When you decide to chance upgrading FC5 to FC7, whenever it comes out, hoping that your kernel bug got fixed, before doing the upgrade grab the copy of the rpm file for the kernel and save it. Then, if you run into the same situation, boot the installer, go into rescue mode, chroot, then do "rpm -i --oldpackage" to install the old kernel.

  • Re: Is there any way to force a yum install/update?
    ... This is the best way to install packages that are not yet in the ... repositories - get or make a binary rpm (from source rpm or maybe from ... binaries that were not known about by rpm and yum and built an empty ... When you install a RPM something by yum, it updates the RPM database. ...
    (Fedora)
  • SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
    ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-Disclosure] SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
    ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: EL4 ES kernel recompile
    ... We need to build the source rpm to get the sources. ... Install kernel-.src.rpm (given the default RPM configuration, ... the kernel tree will be located ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Is Linux always this slow?
    ... but since I use command-line rpm all the time this does not bother me ... Installing a new kernel is really easy. ... modules_install; make install', ... you are lucky, you get a nice kernel RPM you can install just like any ...
    (linux.redhat)