Open source projects overview

Hi,
my question is not directly related to linux, but I didn't find an
appropriate group (please tell me, if you know one), and I think Linux
users might be most supportive.

I am impressed by the progress of projects like http://en.fon.com (Free
Wifi community), http://www.openstreetmap.org (Worldwide streetmap),
http://www.voxforge.org (data collection for speaker independent speech
recognition) and others.

Do you know a list of similar projects where a community of people
shares data or services that you usually have to pay for continuous or
expensive fees? Of course there ist sourceforge.net with a list of some
million opensource projects, but I'd like to participate in projects
that go beyond the development of software like the three examples
above.

Herbert

  • Re: Open source projects overview
    ... hw.privat@xxxxxx did eloquently scribble: ... appropriate group, and I think Linux ... http://www.voxforge.org (data collection for speaker independent speech ... shares data or services that you usually have to pay for continuous or ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Linux for Users: GUI Dialogs for Shell Scripts
    ... Linux for Users is an occasional series of articles on interesting ... Here are some of the other articles in the series. ... data collection with Perl: http://hubpages.com/t/297796. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)