dd: writing `/dev1/dev/ram1': No space left on device

Can anyone help me with the "No space left on device" error?

To give more details:

I am tyring to build a debian /dev tree on a RHEL 4 distribution. Does
anyone know how to do this?

This /dev tree is intended to be loaded on an embedded system that has
Debian (version 2.4.16).
I am building a debian linux system on RedHat (RHEL 4) and loading it
on the embedded box.

For RedHat, I am aware that udev will dynamically detect hardware and
build the /dev tree.
This won't work for me, because I need additional devices created.
I need to simulate the /dev tree that will be used on the target Debian
box.

I have done this on a debian distribution before (that was simple,
because it already had the
debian devices tree).

For instance Redhat does not have:
/dev/hda
/dev/hda1
/dev/hda2

I made /dev1/dev to simulate /dev and created devices under there.
I used MAKEDEV to create the debian /dev tree but under /dev1/dev

See below:
MAKEDEV -v -d /dev1/dev hda
create hda b 3 0 root:disk 640
create hda1 b 3 1 root:disk 640
create hda2 b 3 2 root:disk 640
...... [truncated]...

But, now this command fails:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev1/dev/ram1 bs=1024 count=93750

Error:

dd: writing `/dev1/dev/ram1': No space left on device

16385+0 records in
16384+0 records out

$ df -h /dev
- 8.0G 152K 8.0G 1% /dev
$ df -h /dev1
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
49G 6.4G 40G 14% /
$ df -k /dev
- 8287176 152 8287024 1% /dev
$ df -k /dev1
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
50412228 6664212 41187200 14% /
$ df -i /dev
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
- 195044 246 194798 1% /dev
$ df -i /dev1
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
6406144 182281 6223863 3% /

$ ls -l /dev1/dev/ram1
brw-rw-rw- 1 root disk 1, 1 Jan 5 17:07 /dev1/dev/ram1

The dd command failed, so there must be something I am missing or doing
wrong.

My questions are:
1. How can I debug/fix the errors from the "dd" command?
2. Was that the right thing to do in order to duplicate debian's dev
tree?

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Supriya