Re: how to automatically run a script each day?

On 2007-01-11, Shawn <shaw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to run a script everyday. I heard of cron. But the problem is
(1)It seems it needs root permission, which is impossible for me to get
it, because the administrative people in the company will not give that
to me.

What needs root permission? If the program you need to run requires
root, but you can't get root, then you're hosed. If cron has been
prohibited for regular users, then you need to ask your sysadmins if
they will grant you access to cron. If they won't do that, then you're
hosed (sorta).

I am wondering if there is any other ways to do it. It is just a simple
script which needs to be run every day. I hate to do it by myself manually.

You can write a wrapper script which runs your script, sleeps for 24
hours, then loops back. But your sysadmins might not like that, either.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(try just my userid to email me)

  • Re: Query regarding cron jobs
    ... The script is getting executed a few times when scheduled through cron ... The probability of successful execution is 6/10. ... showing any entries crontab -l as the entry in /etc/cron.d is for root ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Query regarding cron jobs
    ... The script is getting executed a few times when scheduled through cron ... The probability of successful execution is 6/10. ... showing any entries crontab -l as the entry in /etc/cron.d is for root ...
    (RedHat)
  • SUMMARY: cron entry: nth day of every month?
    ... cron can not handle this with its own syntax. ... 21st but "command" only runs if the output of the "date" command ... What I would suggest is rather than embedding the logic in each script ... The answer is it is _not_ possible to control it only with crontab ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • [Solved] Long cronjobs terminate after 2 minutes/Ubuntu 8.10
    ... When I run the script in the foreground, it takes about 2 hours to ... Have you got your system set up so that cron sends mail to ... I configured Postfix for local mail only and updated ... I'm assuming that configuring the MTA is what did it. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Expect: problem with fork under cron
    ... the code of a sample script that shows the problem: ... Forked process 524310 ... Child 1 exiting ... However, when run from cron, I see the following (script output was ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)