Re: analyzing memory usage

laredotornado@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi,

I'm running Fedora Core 5 on an x86 Desktop box. I found the "free"
command to tell me how much memory I'm using.

total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 1030664 986736 43928 0 89880
576096
-/+ buffers/cache: 320760 709904
Swap: 1831400 148 1831252

Evidently I don't seem to have much left. How do I find out what the
top applications are that are using all my memory?

This question gets asked a lot here.
Linux will use all the memory on your system,
no matter how much you have and that's a good
thing.

If programs aren't using the memory, Linux
will use it as a buffer for recently read data files.

top produces a nice display of memory used.
Use the RES column for a guage of program memory
use, type upper case M to sort by memory use.
.