Re: analyzing memory usage

laredotornado@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi,

I'm running Fedora Core 5 on an x86 Desktop box. I found the "free"
command to tell me how much memory I'm using.

total used free shared buffers
cached
Mem: 1030664 986736 43928 0 89880
576096
-/+ buffers/cache: 320760 709904
Swap: 1831400 148 1831252

Evidently I don't seem to have much left. How do I find out what the
top applications are that are using all my memory?

This question gets asked a lot here.
Linux will use all the memory on your system,
no matter how much you have and that's a good
thing.

If programs aren't using the memory, Linux
will use it as a buffer for recently read data files.

top produces a nice display of memory used.
Use the RES column for a guage of program memory
use, type upper case M to sort by memory use.

  • Linux ELF loader vulnerabilities
    ... Numerous bugs have been found in the Linux ELF binary loader while ... Internally the Linux kernel uses a binary format loader layer to ... and the position of the memory map header in the binary image and ... An user may try to execute such a malicious binary with an unterminated ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-Disclosure] Linux ELF loader vulnerabilities
    ... Numerous bugs have been found in the Linux ELF binary loader while ... Internally the Linux kernel uses a binary format loader layer to ... and the position of the memory map header in the binary image and ... An user may try to execute such a malicious binary with an unterminated ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Linux ELF loader vulnerabilities
    ... Numerous bugs have been found in the Linux ELF binary loader while ... Internally the Linux kernel uses a binary format loader layer to ... and the position of the memory map header in the binary image and ... An user may try to execute such a malicious binary with an unterminated ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: How to set up a Linux machine that occupies the minimum memory footprint ?
    ... Of course, if you use 8GB of RAM, or more precisely if you ... Are you saying that if I have a 4GB RAM memory, ... Linux will somehow "know" that it doesn't have ... You've said in another message that your app is ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How to set up a Linux machine that occupies the minimum memory footprint ?
    ... Of course, if you use 8GB of RAM, or more precisely if you ... Are you saying that if I have a 4GB RAM memory, ... Linux will somehow "know" that it doesn't have ... You've said in another message that your app is ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)