Re: quick question - downloaded linux app

On Feb 7, 2:57 pm, Dan Espen <dan...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
dhm_at_best_dot_...@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I am trying to do a favor for an old fogie writer friend who is
migrating to Linspire linux away from windoze.

He's so happy that the Linspire package includes the OpenOffice Writer
(in the OpenOffice suite monstrosity), that I decided to download the
much nicer, smaller abiword for linux to give to him on a cd.

Here is my question - When it downloaded it onto my mac, it became
something like a textfile 'abiword.package.sh'.

Isn't Linspire the distro that comes with a package repository
that you pay for?

If so, there should be some kind of GUI that will install abiword.

Could be. Open Office comes bundled with Linspire, which he bought at
Fry's on their salesman's recommendation. The old guy recluses
himself in his room with his computer. I merely put the CDs that I
cut for him on the table next to his door, along with the web pages
that address his questions.

Today I gave him the windoze versions of abi and Ooo on a separate cd,
figuring it might take him another year to figure out how to install
his new Linux package before he discovers a printer driver/software
problem or a virtual memory problem.

Linspire has a wiki page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linspire

  • Re: quick question - downloaded linux app
    ... He's so happy that the Linspire package includes the OpenOffice Writer ... smaller abiword for linux to give to him on a cd. ... The autopackage instructions on the abiword website did not mention ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux is hard ?
    ... to install linux alongside their existing Windows as a dual boot system. ... If you install Linux out of the box or off the disk as the sole operating ... Each Linspire improvement made things even better. ... but Linspire can run slow even with 256 MB RAM. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Linux Question
    ... There is a version of Debian Linux marketed by Linspire. ... After you download the file, you can 'burn' it to a CD. ... > foolproof to install? ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Linspire....
    ... I bought a new computer from Frys for $200 with Linspire, ... Ubuntu seems cool. ... http://distrowatch.com/index.php counts hits from various Linux distros ... 45 FoX Desktop 122 ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Re: winspire
    ... >>> complete newbie about Linux but I am frustrated with Windows. ... I can buy a laptop with Linspire already installed. ... To get the modem working, all you do is boot into Linspire, allow it to ... I like Xandros, but I chose Linspire over Xandros because the CNR ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)