Re: cron and at - how to shcedule and run jobs on a machine that only boots occasionally?

CptDondo <yan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I have an old server that gets woken up at midnight, updates its
mirror, and shuts down.

I would like for it to run different jobs based on the day of week,
day of month, etc.

Normally I use cron, but cron assumes it will always be running.

There is a cron replacement called anacron that does what you want.

If your Linux distribution does not include it, you should be able to
download it from sourceforge and build it on your old server.

--
Chris Jewell chrisj@xxxxxxxxxx PO Box 1396 Gualala CA USA 95445-1396

  • Re: daily cron jobs: setting time of day, how?
    ... > Which cron daemon are you running? ... > Vixie cron - this runs jobs at the scheduled hour. ... > anacron - runs jobs within a period ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: System mail (Fedora 20)
    ... as I tripped up on this once I got my old cron jobs transfered over to this install. ... Some cron config file is set to use sendmail for the MAILTO= option. ... Lars has pointed out that logwatch config is coded to use sendmail. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: centralized cron
    ... >>hundreds of servers, each with their own cron jobs set up, and would ... Using ssh to run crontab ... You're talking about a "job scheduling" software package. ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: centralized cron
    ... >>hundreds of servers, each with their own cron jobs set up, and would ... Using ssh to run crontab ... You're talking about a "job scheduling" software package. ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: job in crontab not running
    ... Are your servers "slow" such as on a remote network or otherwise ... Without NSCD running cron jobs fail to run, ...
    (Debian-User)