Re: Process not moving to background.

andoni.oconchubhair@xxxxxxx writes:

Hi,

I have a script which starts a server application. When I run this
script it works fine and the server starts. All good.

Then I stop the server fine and check it is down. I then run the same
scirpt with an ampersand to run in the background. This doesn't work.
As soon as I try to exit ksh I get an error saying I am still running
a process. Have a look (please ignore my customised prompt!):

What do you mean it does not work. It works. Just because it is in the
background does not mean it is not working. Plus all of its input and
output is still attached to your shell! (stdin, stdout, stderr) so you
cannot just shout down the shell. Ie, stdin, stdout stderr are all still
connected to the stdin, out err of you shell.

C:/export/home/a389584>jobs
[2] + Running nohup sudo /opt/company/app/server/bin/
start-server &
[1] - Running nohup sudo /opt/company/app/server2/bin/
server-central &
C:/export/home/a389584>bg %2
[2] nohup sudo /opt/egain/knowledge/self-service/bin/self-service
&
C:/export/home/a389584>exit
You have running jobs
C:/export/home/a389584>

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Andoni.

  • Re: Process not moving to background.
    ... cannot just shout down the shell. ... Ie, stdin, stdout stderr are all still ... err to the nohup.out file in my home directory. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: keepalives in SSH-1 and when to stop reading data
    ... You then send the command 'ls' in, via stdin, and read the ... Instead of starting a shell using ... sent by the server". ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Pine Server installation Recommendation
    ... who will give you a shell account with no bandwidth restrictions ... for much less money than getting a dedicated virtual server type deal. ... Provider 1 has a reasonable price, pine access via ssh but has only ... When you read the Infinite Ink Pine pages by Nancy (great pages Nancy, ...
    (comp.mail.pine)
  • Re: CGI apps in C?
    ... This would be used if you want to run "find" or some other shell ... server and settled on running PHP apps using fastcgi + suexec. ... Each user can then customise their config, ... information for each CGI execution. ...
    (freebsd-isp)