Re: convert .doc to .pdf on linux

On 2007-03-08, Jistan Idiot <jistanidiot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mar 8, 1:39 pm, John-Paul Stewart <jpstew...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Jistan Idiot wrote:
On Mar 8, 12:12 pm, Unruh <unruh-s...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If they are fine at 400% resolution, it is a problem with Adobe Acrobat
rendering. I assume they print out OK.

I'm not sure. Not only does acroread render it wrong at 100%, so does
xpdf from foolabs.com. I don't know enough about PDFs to even guess
what exactly the problem is.

I'd guess that the problematic check boxes are drawn with too fine a
line width. If the PDF viewing software determines that a line
corresponds to a 1/2 pixel or less, it won't draw the line. The problem
is not from the .doc to PDF conversion. (I've seen it happen many
times, exactly as you describe.) The best thing to do would be to draw
with thicker lines, if you really need PDFs.

Ok so how do I draw the lines thicker? As far as I can tell you can't
change how the checkbox looks except for size. However the size has
no effect on the thickness of the lines. :( Is there some option to
make the PDF draw all lines a certain thickness?

Perhaps there might be some way to make xpdf render the
lines even if they are less than 1/2 pixel wide. With
source code, anything should be possible--at least in
theory.

--
Robert Riches
spamtrap42@xxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Is FreeBSD ready for desktop (Mozilla Flash)
    ... > its main window only closed the PDF. ... > Then the font rendering problems, but these have been fixed lately. ... Type1 fonts decently. ... > when converted by xpdf. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
  • RISC OS files converted to PDF not loading into Corel Draw.
    ... We converted for a customer 200+ Artworks, Draw & Impression files to ... The Artworks and Draw files were converted using Artworks PDF export. ... I can import them into Serif PagePlus X4, edit and resave without any real ... BUSINESS-2.pdf will not import into CorelDraw X4 as you've noted. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: Damn the ATP site and the Dubai draw! :-(
    ... Dave Hazelwood wrote: ... They're trying to figure out how to make coloured letters in Adobe PDF ... so they can write Nadal's name in the draw in thick, bold, red font. ... Most tennis analysts seem to think that Federer was at 60% at the AO. ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Re: Damn the ATP site and the Dubai draw! :-(
    ... They're trying to figure out how to make coloured letters in Adobe PDF ... so they can write Nadal's name in the draw in thick, bold, red font. ... baseline as if this was red clay? ... Most tennis analysts seem to think that Federer was at 60% at the AO. ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)
  • Re: Damn the ATP site and the Dubai draw! :-(
    ... They're trying to figure out how to make coloured letters in Adobe PDF ... so they can write Nadal's name in the draw in thick, bold, red font. ... How hard do you think it is to create pdf documents? ... Most tennis analysts seem to think that Federer was at 60% at the AO. ...
    (rec.sport.tennis)