Re: Which processes are using swap/ RHEL4?

On Apr 3, 12:29 pm, John Murtari <jmurt...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Folks,

I'm a fairly experienced Linux admin and we run a
bunch of RHEL 4 Servers. The machines are equipped with
abundant memory and we hardly ever see swap usage. Recently
we have had a couple of incidents where we suddently went
about 2 gigs into swap. System monitors alerted us and we
ran a series of ps and top commands looking at process memory
and nothing accounted for the usage. We also shut down and
restarted most of the services on the machine and it appeared
to make no difference. About an hour later, the swap suddenly
recovered and none was being used.

I'd welcome any suggestions to how we could better
monitor this and account for the usage. Thanks.

--
John

Are these production machines? Can you/do you have similiar machines
running in a QA or Dev (whatever, just non-prod) environment? I'd
hate to do this on a production machine, but maybe you can setup a
cron job with SAR, and monitor memory usage every couple of minutes,
or whatever you need it to do.

Thanks

Mike

  • Re: Page File causes slow startup/low virtual memory
    ... Initial login then takes 5-10 minutes. ... the memory usage has peaked to that of total ... When one of the machines is at the peak usage that you described bring ...
  • Re: Future proofing a system
    ... a quad running at 3.66GHz. ... the expensive machines have gaming video cards in them ... 2GB memory minimum. ... add upgrades to later). ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: 54 Processors?
    ... > My memory is cloudy but I seem to recall these statements around the ... a big problem was strong memory consistency model and cache ... were saturating their machines ... ... the common L2 cache interfaced to the SCI memory access port. ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Cohens paper on byte order
    ... > The smallest bit that has an address on most machines is an 8-bit byte. ... one pulls a byte somewhere from the memory into, say, ... one gives it the designation bit-0. ... ein Ende setzen oder der Krieg | to war or war will put ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Working without a Word work file - Word 2003 / Outlook 2003
    ... Increased the memory on the server to 3gb and defragged ... Deleted the DataKey on the machines and the problem continued. ... and not do a bog standard install and use redirect to correct the ...