Re: How many sub-directories ?

In article <MPG.207c92e6437df30498998f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<colin.c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:
:How many sub-directories in one main directory can linux handle before
:anything "unwelcome" starts to happen?
:
:For example if I create
:
:/var/www/myhome
:How many folders can exist in that one directory - ie with none below
:them.
:
:eg
:
:/var/www/myhome/a
:/var/www/myhome/b
:/var/www/myhome/c ... and so on ...
:
:If its relevant I'm using Centos V4 enterprise version.

Depends on the filesystem. For ext2 and ext3 the hard limit is 31998
due to EXT[23]_LINK_MAX being 32000 and each of those subdirectories
(folders) has a link back to its parent, which began life with a link
count of 2.

The limit for decent performance would likely be quite a bit less.