Re: Backtrack not booting after installing with windows xp

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 07:41:15 -0700, Nemisis wrote:

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, so would like to say hello to
everyone, hope u r all well.

I have got a machine with WindowsXP installed (sorry for swearing
lol), and i want BackTrack 2.0 installed as well, so i can boot
either.

I installed partition magic on my windows installation, and split the
drive so i now have my windows partition (100gb), linux ext3 partition
(10gb), linux swap (1gb).

I have booted the backtrack live cd, and gone into the installer
program. The first option i chose \boot, second option \mnt\sda3 and
third \dev\sda. Everything seems to install, but when i shutdown and
reboot, my installation just opens windowsXp.

I dont get any boot loader asking which system i want to boot.

I am very new to linux so please explain your answers, thanks in
advanced.

Caveat: I am not using Backtrack.

The best boot loader for dual booting, IMO, is the grub loader. Setting
up for dual booting it is very well documented here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html

Also, IMO, time learning about the boot loader is a good time investment,
especially when working with dual boot systems. Time spent learning now
could really save you time and trouble in the long run.

Regardless of which loader is used by backtrack by default, you should be
able to use the grub loader instead. This is because grub is not tied to
any specific GNU/Linux distribution. It can be thought of as a mini,
self-contained OS whose job is to load other OSs. I have a grub boot cd
available, if you want to try it out with minimal effort.

Setting up a dual boot system relies on the user knowing what they're
doing to some extent. For example, being able to point to their free
partition, if nothing else. Be careful when making changes to the
bootloader, and partitions. It is always a good idea to make backups
before starting to maintain a good fallback position and to avoid data
loss, etc.

--
Douglas Mayne

  • Re: XP reinstallation woes on Multiboot system
    ... original installation a breeze.Was I ever wrong! ... I mean the moment the yellow progress bar in Setup is Copying Files ... You need to be *very* quick to catch it, if you want to Boot into any ... & what Partition are you choosing to do the Install onto? ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: microsoft xp unable to log on
    ... separate partition and try copying your data from your current setup to the ... Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, ... To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R. ... can delete, create and format partitions. ...
  • Re: USB external Hard disk - May be LVM
    ... > During installation I decided not to install Grub as my goal is to have ... booting from USB hard drives,usb-cdroms or usb-floppies once and the ... start from the boot loader in the MBR of the USB hard disk. ... Try unmounting the /boot partition and see if the intird is in the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
    ... Primary: Boot Manager ... The DFSee ux column nr matches the number appended to sda. ... this installation that I have not done before in several oS ... or choose 'Make THIS partition Active' from DFSee's ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OEM xp home/pro sp-2
    ... difficulty that arises is when a clone is started up for its first run ... to files in its "parent's" partition for files it should contain itself. ... could see the partition for the old OS when it did its installation ... Besides using the boot menu to choose between OSes, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)