Is the new Intel 3945 driver more stable?

....or is it just a matter of it's removal of the userspace daemon?

I have had a very bad time with Suse 10.2 with my 3945 card.

Most notably, it causes a kernel panic whenever I do a large local
file transfer (see #5 in the driver's 'ISSUES' file, which was
surprisingly bad)

However, it took me forever to get it working in the first place, and
the instructions for the new driver require a manual kernel compile
and there are no packages for Suse GRRR!

Any real-life experience with both drivers appreciated.

.