Re: can not delete empty files

On Sun, 06 May 2007, joelbrunetti wrote:

I am running on amd64 and the filesystem in question is XFS.

I agree with Dances With Crows that this is a file system problem.

The Gentoo handbook, which I think has useful information about file
systems, has this to say about XFS:

XFS is a filesystem with metadata journaling which comes with a robust
feature-set and is optimized for scalability. We only recommend using this
filesystem on Linux systems with high-end SCSI and/or fibre channel
storage and an uninterruptible power supply. Because XFS aggressively
caches in-transit data in RAM, improperly designed programs (those that
don't take proper precautions when writing files to disk and there are
quite a few of them) can lose a good deal of data if the system goes down
unexpectedly.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4

I think that ext3 is the best choice for most users.

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<yan@xxxxxxxx>

  • [OOPS] amrestore dies in pfn_to_page 2.6.16-gentoo-r7 (x86_64)
    ... I've also had problems restoring large XFS partitions off of tape ... # ACPI Support ... # CPU Frequency scaling ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • XFS kernel crash
    ... To me it looks like a problem in the XFS filesystem and I consider defects in filesystem very, ... (ACPI NVS) ... SCSI device sdb: 20971520 512-byte hdwr sectors ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: XFS filesystem corruption on the arm(el) architecture
    ... I discovered some problems with xfs. ... I conserved a image of the corrupted filesystem ... Mount the filesystem to replay the log, ... agno = 0 ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Storage server
    ... There are inexpensive disks and then there are cheap disks. ... filesystem over all these disks. ... Using XFS also allows infinite growth without requiring ... kernel froze it always had these messages displayed. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: ext3 or xfs for desktop laptop
    ... seperate ext2 partition using xfs. ... v4.xxx of the filesystem format. ... And will not be *USING* any reiserfs in production, ... support, should you use them. ...
    (Debian-User)