Re: IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?

navti wrote:
On May 30, 9:34 pm, The Natural Philosopher <a...@xxx> wrote:
navti wrote:
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and
MAC OS X?
I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very
latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds.
When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take
an eternity.
So slow in fact I have to kill the process .
I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is
a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most
sensible option ).
That is very weird.

That's not a problem with the protocol, but with the installation
setup.

maybe, its KNoppix.

I don't think its a distro issue, or why is it fast one way not the other..

If you READ a file FROM linux using the mac, is it also slow?

It may be that linux's SMBclient is badly configured.

I have never had a speed problem with the samba server as such..

I am thinking of putting Debian on.

Well it works Ok..but its the same code and the same config files...

I have to say that although FTP is a fast transfer protocol, its about as user friendly as a rottweiler.

Nfs sucks big time IMHO.

Http? well if you must..but bog standard file sharing is so EASY for users to ..use?